1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't boot even in safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Zhuria, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zhuria

Zhuria Thread Starter

PLEASE help me :( After running out of suggestions I just did an older system restore, everything was fine. I did virus and malware scans, defragged, checked everything for errors, cleaned off unnecessary crap, etc. It was running a bit warm but otherwise fine. I was afraid to reset it (I just hibernate it at night) in case it did the same thing as before (not booting, but safe mode worked so I was able to restore), but I wanted to do a checkdisk so I rebooted it tonight.

Checkdisk took forever, but it finished and rebooted. And then it didn't boot. All it does now it load the desktop background and that's it - no taskbar, no task manager access etc. When I rebooted to try again, it tried to do the checkdisk all over again. So I rebooted in safe mode. Now safe mode won't boot, it's at the black screen with white text and it's stuck at "giveio.sys"

So I can't restore, I can't back up my files, I can't do anything.

I'm officially panicking.

Is there ANYTHING I can do at this point aside from take it in for repairs? I'm so afraid to lose my files :(

ETA: This sounds similar to what I'm experiencing http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/giveio-sys-causes-lockup-207125.html and I do have SpeedFan installed.. Could someone walk me through removing it? I'm not so good with command line stuff..

2. fel1x

fel1x

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php to access your files and to back up

its speed fam which is causing this but as you can not access the computer at all not even in safemode then options are limited

MAY and i repeat MAY be possible by removing the fan controller (power lead) to cpu before booting to try to get to desktop

wait for other posters

3. Zhuria

Zhuria Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! I managed to get in there and uninstall SpeedFan, but it didn't fix the issue. Won't boot, and safe mode is still hanging at giveio.sys

At this point I am thinking some kind of boot sector virus. I'm going to keep doing my detective work. At least I have eliminated a few things.

4. Gouthaman

Gouthaman

5. fel1x

fel1x

think i am hovering around a bios reset especially with the speedfan issue, yes its uninstalled but there will be many registry items left

6. Zhuria

Zhuria Thread Starter

Reset the bios, didn't work. Did scans with Avira and BitDefender, they found 2 spyware and 1 false positive, cleaned the 2 spyware even though I knew that wasn't the cause. Then did the bios reset.

I know what it is, I knew it was hardware related all along. I'm pretty sure I must have got static on it and effed up my mobo that first day when I took it apart to fix the CD-rom. I was in such a tizzy I forgot to ground.

Taking it in for repairs, I've tried everything I can try. Will let you guys know what they find.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I'd remove the HDD ..Put it in a USB Adpater ..
    You should be able to read it from a good computer and extract your Data.
    You don't have to boot to it to read it.

If you take it to a shop .. I'm not sure you'll get your data back

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice