1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Won't Boot, Have Tried Almost Everything, Help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by doodah12, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doodah12

doodah12 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have an XP boot up problem, bios runs, and as windows is about to (or should) boot, screen goes black and bios starts over. I checked the drive in another computer I have, and same thing. I then slaved it to make sure it's not a total disk meltdown, but I am able to access the disk and the files.
    I've since tried:
    Using the installation disk and using the repair option on the disk, hasn't worked, when it says to reboot and remove the disk, it goes back to the bios cycling over and over, the windows installation doesn't continue.
    I've tried using the recovery console to run chkdsk /r, fixmbr, fixboot, bootcfg /rebuild, still no boot up.
    I have a copy of partition table doctor which I could install on the drive while it's slaved on my other system.
    Should I try this, or is there anything else I could try? I'm thinking I'm going to have to do a full re-install of XP, which I've been dreading, thanks.

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

I recommend getting your personal files of value off there while you have access and performing a clean install of the system. You may have a rootkit malware. They can be impossible to eliminate and can thwart all actions that you attempt. Even if you manage to cleanse it, I wouldn't trust that it didn't do untold damage that might show up later.

Also check the HD with manufacturers diagnostics utilities just to be sure the drive is physically healthy.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976893

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice