1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't boot in safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LMC, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LMC

LMC Thread Starter

I am running XP Pro Sp2 on a Dell Dimension 8300 , which is6 years old. I uninstalled a corrupted version of Verizon Security Suite. I rebooted Windows after the uninstall, got to the Dell splash screen,but just a black screen after that, however it did not turn off. I tried restarting a couple times with the same results, even if I tried to enter safe mode on boot . I then turned the computer off, then on and went into safe mode. As long as I turned it off and back on again I could get into safe mode with or without networking. I checked Device Manager and my Network Card had no errors, However there were 3 entries I did not recognize. I called Verizon, they were entries made by the Security Suite. I ran the utility they gave me, and those entries were gone, however still the same problem on bootup. I checked the event viewer and it showed DCOM error 10005 repeatedly.

I ended up trying to restart the machine again, but unfortunately made a grave error, as I decided to run a scan disk when I restarted. The scan ran and completed, I entered safe mode again. All the files for safe mode loaded on the screen but then it just would hang at that point.

The last boot disk I made is dated 2004. I do not have a recovery disk, but was wondering if I used the Drivers and Utilities disk that came with the computer would that run a diagnostics for me, and or repair the problem? I was able to boot to Setup, but once I got in there I was unsure what to do.

Thank you!

2. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    I'm not a tech but you can try running System File Check. Click Start / Run and type in sfc /scannow ( make sure to leave a space between sfc and /scannow ) then click OK. If it finds missing files it will ask for your XP installation cd. Also I've found that with security suites it's best to uninstall the old version when it expires ( some suites come with a removal tool that should be run like Norton or McAfee ) and run disk cleanup. Then restart the pc and install the new version if your renewing. Always restart the pc when updating, removing, or installing a program so the registry doesnt get corrupted.

3. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya LMC.

When you are offline, various DCOM apps will try to update online, and issue that error but it`s not an error as such, it`s just telling you it couldn`t update because of not being online. (Does that make sense ...) The way to stop that error is to stay online but of course you can`t do that !

It sounds like you`re shafted really as you say you don`t have an installation disk to boot from apart from the Utilities disk that came with the machine. Try it and read any on-screen instructions it puts up especially if there`s a repair option but only you will know that as you look at the screen.

Jenny

4. LMC

LMC Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you for your input. I appreciate it! I ran sfc as soon as I got into safe mode, with no resolution. I could not run it before I restarted after the uninstall. For some reason sfc will not work with the RUN option, and has not worked for a few years. This machine is old and I have patched it, replaced hardware, and generaly maintenance has become a full time job. I could not run it anyway as safe mode hangs and never boots up.

I do have an installation disk to boot from, I have all the disks that came with the computer. Would I just have to do a dirty rinstall or would I have the option to repair from the install disk? I have only had to use that option one time and that was 8 years ago, cannot remember much about it now.

Thank you both again
    Linda

5. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya LMC.

What you need is an installation disk and as you said, you do have one. The only person that can tell you whether it`s possible to repair from it is you when you look on-screen but a full installation disk (as opposed to a repair disk) will certainly have that option.

If it`s a full installation disk, follow the first few screens as though you`re installing a fresh version until it looks for "Previous versions of Windows" and the next screen will show your old one hopefully. Read the screen but it should say "Press R to repair".

Jenny

6. LMC

LMC Thread Starter

Jenny,

You answered the biggest question I had about using the installation disk. I was not sure what options to choose to begin with .

Thank you again!

Linda

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice