1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xp wont boot, no safe mode, no debug mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ufalufa, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ufalufa

ufalufa Thread Starter

I have been attempting to fix this for the last 2 days and not getting anywhere fast. I hope someone has some suggestions.

Xp will not boot past windows logo screen. If I just let it run it will reboot and try agian on its own.

All the Safe mode choices freeze while the text goes down the screen - doesnt even make to the logo screen.

Last known good configuration does the same thing as regular boot up -no load past windows logo.

I have attemted to reboot using the xp disk. (I am running Raid 0 and did install raid drivers with the F6 command) I am able to get the screen with options and have choosen all the option which would freeze. They both freeze when they begin to anylze the first hard drive.

My bios sees good good hard drives (I dont know if that really means anything)

Raid shows healthy drives as well.

If I reset my computer with the restart button after attempting to load the comptuer will freeze at the bios start up screen. If I power down the comptuer and the restart I have the same boot issues. Not sure if that gives any clue.

I have another computer with the exact same specs. I have swithced hard drives and get the same result. The hard drives from my other computer work fine in the busted computer so we can rule out motherboard, graphics, loose connection, etc....

I would usually run chkdsk or reload drivers using the windows disk but as you know from the info above i cannot get to that point. I have also tried to boot to Dos with a boot disk so I can run some dos commands but have yet successfully made one or downloaded one that worked (it may be my 15 year old floppy discs just aint cutting it)

Is there a way to get to the Dos prompt with a floppy boot on xp pro?
    Is there anything else I can run or do to check the hard drives?
    When or how can I know when its a bad hard drive and throw in the towel?

The drive does contain important business information........and of course the user has not been backing up !!!!! What a surprise. So getting this to work is important, if its possible.

Thank you for your time,
    Mike

2. Nebastion

Nebastion

Sup mike, Welcome to TSG

Ok, well you can
    1) throw it in the bin Or
    2) Try A Linux to save Microsoft's ***

Try "Puppy Linux"

Once you burn it onto a CD you can Run Puppy Linux From the CD,
    From there you can Check:

Hard drive.
    Scan for trojans.
    Or anything else you think may be causing the prob.

The 1st thing you should do when you get LINUX going is Take the IMPORTANT FILES,
    Save them 1st and then try to address the problem.

*Personally i would save my important files and do a fresh install (maybe even a Linux) because theres no way of knowing what was Destroyed or infected even after a Linux anti virus scan. (if this IS a virus Issue) ....... *

If your not used to Linux based OS, i can guide you through the installation of An anti virus program for linux called
    ClamAV.

Good luck
    Neb.

3. ufalufa

ufalufa Thread Starter

Neb,

Thanks for the reply!! I will give that a try tonight. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks Agian, Mike

4. ufalufa

ufalufa Thread Starter

ok I download the puppy linux...very cool by the way.

I cant seem to mount my hard drives. I am in the process of serching for answers.

Will this linux be able to read/scan my RAID 0 drives?

I am now on the puppy linux forums looking but no luck yet.

Thanks, Mike

5. ufalufa

ufalufa Thread Starter

Well it seems the puppy linux will not access my Raid setup. But it did access my old laptop that been in the basement for the last year!!!!

So I fixed that(y).

I did find a hard drive utility from my hard drive manufacturer. Why I didnt think of that before is beyond me.

Downloaded a bootable cd program. One of the hard drives is damaged according to the scan. Ran scan 4 times to be sure. Always came back with the same error.

So in the trash it goes. Thanks for the help and the introduction to the linux.

The End

6. Nebastion

Nebastion

Glad to have helped Mike..

What was the error?
    Dont throw it away just yet.....

Regards
    Neb

7. ufalufa

ufalufa Thread Starter

I havent trashed it, but I did use the other hard drive from the RAID setup and re-installed everything.

If there was a chance to recover anything I just formatted the good drive...so it aint happenin.

As far as the error goes I cant remeber the numbers it would give me, but it was some kind of write error.

We lost 8 monthes of banking records but the bank was able to give us all the info on a format which I can dump into the program so we are in good shape.

Thanks, Mike

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/884658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice