1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't boot past splash screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by carysb7478, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carysb7478

carysb7478 Thread Starter

My rig was running fine until I go to plug in my phone into one of the frontside USB ports to charge. The computer instantly turned off, and since then it will not boot past the black XP splash screen with the moving bar at the bottom. I was able to successfully boot into safe mode after pressing F5 before the splash screen comes up, so I was able to pull off some crucial files.

Any suggestions on how to get this fixed or what is causing this? FYI, this is a custom built rig with a core2duo, 4gb ram, Gigabyte mobo. It's about 3 years old and I've never had problems until now. I've done some hardware unplugging/troubleshooting, so I'm more inclined to think this is a software issue.

I've also tried this, from another forums thread several years ago, but it did not work for me:

Run the Recovery Console and press R. When at the command prompt type:
    chkdsk /r
    This will check and fix any errors. Reboot after its done. It problem still exists, run Recovery Console again and this time type:
    fixmbr
    If it says you have a non-standard or bad master boot record then select yes and run it.

and also this:
    First off, boot your computer from your Windows XP restore cd/OS cd, when the menu comes up hit the R key to get to the recovery prompt.
    The prompt should start off at C:\Windows. Type cd system32. The prompt should now read C:\Windows\system32
    Type: copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe
    Reboot

I do have the XP cdrom but I want to try any other options before I have to wipe and start over. I'd rather not have to install all my programs (yes I know I should have backed up better). Thanks for any help/suggestions you may have!

edit: Also, what I mean by it won't get past the splash screen is, it sits on the splash screen for maybe 15 seconds with the bar moving, then the screen goes black. The computer is still on and there is occasionally some HD action, but nothinig comes on the screen.

2. Parr_72

Parr_72

When you attemped the repair with the XP CD did you try to fix the boot sector? FIXBOOT

Sometimes the first part of the boot sector gets corrupted and repairing it can get you back running. The only thing you won't know is if there was other damage inflicted somewhere else. Don't forget to backup your data regularily -- if you value it anyway.

3. carysb7478

carysb7478 Thread Starter

I did not try FIXBOOT, but I was able to select a different option from the F5 menu. I believe it was something along the lines of "revert back to the last version that worked"

This seemed to fix whatever was wrong. Thanks for the reply

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice