1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't boot up normally

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lonewolf78, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lonewolf78

lonewolf78 Thread Starter

A few months ago the reconditioned LCD monitor I had suddenly quit on me. I used the CRT one from my old computer (which I did have hooked to it before I got the other) as a crutch until I could get one.
    A day later I had the new one and hooked it up. When I turned it back on I got the "Windows didn't load properly" message, and restarted it.

Between then and now my computer got subjected to a couple of power failures, and when I went to restart it, it would stick on the loading screen. I could get it going in safe mode but not normal. After resetting a few times it would work again. I was afraid to turn it off after that.

Last night I decided to transfer some videos from my camcorder. I plugged my firewire cord into it and the computer screen turned to lines and froze. Had to do a hard reset, and now it won't load normally. I'm stuck using safe mode with networking and no sound. I've looked up several ways to try and fix it, but I'm afraid I'll mess it up even more. I thought of system restore, but I saw reports it doesn't work for this problem.

I'm not sure what to do. If this computer quits I will have no internet access unless I go to the library. I've saved most of my files to Cd's and a flash drive so that doesn't bug me much. We have a computer repair guy in town, but I'm short on cash and when I took my old one to him it was 100 dollars everytime (and he won't be avalable until tomorrow which is why I decided to join here). I have my installation CD, but a full wipe isn't very appealing to me. I got this computer in 2008.

Data: MSI motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ CPU 1.75GB ram

2. huggie54

huggie54

Hiya,there is a sticky at the top of this page called "a guide to reinstall windows" please read this,it will not delete any files or folders ,/programmes but will require all the updates again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice