XP won't boot up.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chill1986

My desktop is running XP and is stuck on the first screen it gets to. Black screen giving options F2 to run Setup and F11 for Boot Menu. Nothing works, if you hit either of those buttons as soon as it comes up it says loading but nothing happens. I am stumped what do I do?

Cheers for any help guys and girls!

Conor

Are you putting the disc in after it is switched on and stuck?

Once the disc is in the drive try restarting using the power button to force a shut down and then push the button again to restart. Tell me what happens.

or re-opening and closing the drive with the disc when your at boot menu options and listen to see if you can hear if the drive is reading the disc then select to boot from disc.

chill1986

I've tried both, putting it in after trying to boot and restarting once it's in there. Neither works, still comes up with the same screen.

Ok something weird happened, ejected the disk and windows suddenly booted up, anything I should do to prevent it from happening again?

Prevent it? Windows booted up..What's the status as of now are you re-installing windows? or did it boot normally?

I've tried both, putting it in after trying to boot and restarting once it's in there. Neither works, still comes up with the same screen.

Ok something weird happened, ejected the disk and windows suddenly booted up, anything I should do to prevent it from happening again?
The aim is to find out what caused this odd behaviour, then you may be able to stop it from re-occuring.

My first suggestion would be to run a check on your hard drive with the windows disk checker.

Follow this guide and post back the results.

1. Click on Start > type cmd in the search box and enter. At that c: prompt, type chkdsk /r exactly as written here with the gap before the slash, then hit Enter.
2.You will then see a message "Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)" Type Y for yes, and press enter. Then reboot the computer into normal mode. Chkdsk will start when Windows begins loading again. Let all 5 phases run and don't use or turn off the computer. (The chkdsk process may take an hour or more to finish and may appear to freeze which is normal.)
3.Chkdsk finds any corrupted files that are causing the problem and fixes them. Read the results of each phase as it finishes. During the final phase, it will notify you if it finds any corrupted files. It also checks for bad blocks on the drive surface.
4.When the Check Disk is done, it will finish loading Windows.

The aim is to find out what caused this odd behaviour, then you may be able to stop it from re-occuring.

My first suggestion would be to run a check on your hard drive with the windows disk checker.

Follow this guide and post back the results.

1. Click on Start > type cmd in the search box and enter. At that c: prompt, type chkdsk /r exactly as written here with the gap before the slash, then hit Enter.
2.You will then see a message "Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)" Type Y for yes, and press enter. Then reboot the computer into normal mode. Chkdsk will start when Windows begins loading again. Let all 5 phases run and don't use or turn off the computer. (The chkdsk process may take an hour or more to finish and may appear to freeze which is normal.)
3.Chkdsk finds any corrupted files that are causing the problem and fixes them. Read the results of each phase as it finishes. During the final phase, it will notify you if it finds any corrupted files. It also checks for bad blocks on the drive surface.
4.When the Check Disk is done, it will finish loading Windows.
I'm assuming windows started normally ? I thought he was booting from disc...

Not sure what you mean Victoria, in post 6 the OP said this:
Ok something weird happened, ejected the disk and windows suddenly booted up
That tells me windows has booted "without" the disk :).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online