1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp won't bootup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mikswmn31, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikswmn31

mikswmn31 Thread Starter

Just installed a new harddrive on my computer, i am not sure exactly what type of computer it is as it was rebuilt by a friend before I bought it from him, but when I start windows I gt the Azlle systemax bios v 1.05, I am assumming this is the type of motherboard I have.

anyway, I bought a new harddrive and installed windows xp home edition ( Cd was bought recently and only installed and activated on the same computer I am having trouble with now. it is not a pirated copy)

I know the old harddrive was bad because i took the computer to best buy and they ran a program on it and sd that it was a bad harddrive. So I bought a new harddrive. anyway i gt home install xp with no problem, the computer starts up and finishes the installation. everything was working fine, other then installing a few simple hide and seek games from cd there is nothing on the harddrive other then the windows files. I played these games for several hours last nite without any problem. Before I went to bed I shut down my computer as I normally do, and today I turn it on and It keeps rebooting itself before I gt to the windows logo screen. I try to enter the start up screen and I choose safemode i gt then I gt the screen of the os choice which is xp. I click enter but, nothing happens, after a little while the screen goes black and restarts itself all over again. Showing the systemax logo screen. No matter what choice I choose in the startup screen the outcome is always the same.

I went into my bios and loaded the default settings for the bios and still no luck.

I tried making a bootup disc from another computer that also has windows xp home but it dosen't recognize that( I also changed bootup options in bios so that drive A is first)

I can gt it to boot to my cdrom using my windows xp disc but it trys to reinstall windows. i choose the r for repair, but I am not sure as to what to do next. The onloy option is to do a reformat and that is a pain, i want to leave that as last resort.

I have a floppy drive (drive A) in my computer, I was thinking that maybe I couldn't boot from it because it was bad or something, so
    I have a floppy that is usb, I unpluged the main floppy from my computer and tried to boot from the usb one (Drive B) but nothing, all i gt is a error message telling me that the floppy failed to load hit f1 or delete for setup. In bios it shows both floppy as A and B. so how do i gt thses floppy to reverse their postions? Making the floppy usb drive as my main floppy? I even tried disabling the floppy a but didnt help.

Also I have no idea if this has anything to do with why im not booting up but I noticed in the bios under boot sequence I have an option to turn of a guardian bios???? It is set to enable, I'm afraid to disble it as i am not sure what that is, I don't want to goof anything up so that I cannot gt back into my bios.

any ideas????

2. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!