1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't connect to wireless

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by boydle1353, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boydle1353

boydle1353 Thread Starter

Hi,
    My dell mini is running windows xp and shows a full signal for my wireless network. It will not connect to the internet via any browser (internet explorer, mozilla or google chrome). I have disabled my firewall, repaired my wireless connection, disconnected and reconnected to my wireless using the password and restarted my laptop in 'safe' and 'debugging' modes to try and remedy the problem. Nothing works. But skype will still connect and work on a unsecure wireless linksys signal. Help please!?!?!?!?!

boydle1353
    p.s. I have no CD/DVD drive to reinstall drivers.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Go into Control Panel>Internet Options>Connection tab>LAN button and make sure there's a tick in "Automatically detect settings" and no ticks inthe Proxy boxes. Click Apply and OK your way out. Restart IE and see if that helped.

3. toddlerstomper

toddlerstomper Banned

4. boydle1353

thanks for such a quick response! though I have already set it to 'detect settings automatically', it detects the full strength signal but when I open IE it says, 'cannot display the webpage'...

5. boydle1353

I'm not sure how to execute winsock xp on my mini as I am using another computer to try and get answers on how to fix my laptop. should i download the program and transfer it using a flash drive?

6. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You could open a Command Prompt then type netsh winsock reset catalog then hit Enter. You'll need a restart after that but if Skype can connect, I don't suspect Winsock too much.

7. boydle1353

thanks i'll try that...

8. toddlerstomper

toddlerstomper Banned

Yes transfer via flash drive!!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/957549