XP won't dual boot!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thumpr

I had win98se installed on my pc in c:\windows. I installed windows xp pro using a new installation (not upgrade) into c:\winxp. From what i have read windows xp should offer the dual boot by default, but I don't get the option. Is this because I installed to c:\winxp and not c:\windows? I tried to edit the boot.ini to this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows="windows 98"

I get the win98 option but it will not boot to 98. Is there some files i need to copy or do i need to add commands in the boot.ini?

Thanks in advance
Thumpar

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts