1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Won't go past splash screen.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AnthonyLordi, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AnthonyLordi

AnthonyLordi Thread Starter

Okay, so this is my first post on this forum, and I just joined, so if I make any errors, please correct me!
    Now for my problem - I recently reformatted my laptop, and I got everything working, I had some network connection issues but I got past those. After installing SP2, I was unable to access any Microsoft websites, so I uninstalled SP2, after the uninstall process, it blue screened, though I don't remember what it said, it shut down after about 5 seconds and I was unable to catch the text displayed. Okay, so I try to start the computer up again, safe mode (all of them; networking, cmd prompt, etc) - Safe mode will not launch so that's out of the question. If I start windows normally or last known good configuration, it gets to the windows splash screen, and then goes black. If I could just get my important files that I moved to my computer, I could reformat again to try and fix the problem.. I have my XP disk in right now and was going to try and use the Repair on it, but I'm afraid that it'll stop any chances of recovering my lost files..
    Any help is really appreciated, and thank you in advance.
    -Anthony
    P.S. - If you need me to do anything, or have any questions, I'm willing to try or give you the information you need.

2. huggie54

huggie54

Perform a Repair Installation
    Published: August 1, 2002

Submitted by Doug Knox, Windows XP MVP, Tewksbury, Massachusetts
    For more tips by Doug, visit Doug's Windows Tweaks and Tips
    Find more on the Expert Zone from Doug Knox.

How do you perform a reinstallation of Windows XP, sometimes called a repair installation?

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your computer.

When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

3. AnthonyLordi

Okay, I'm going through this process now. I'll post back with the results when it's finished.
    Thank you for the reply, I've never had to use the repair console and was unsure how to even use it! (y)

4. AnthonyLordi

Well this worked, it's a great ease to my mind that I got my files back. Thanks much huggie54!
    Does anyone have any solutions or ideas as to what I should do after I reformat and install the updates? I want to go to XP SP3, but as far as I know you have to get SP2 in order to do that, and after I installed SP2 it stopped things from working, and I wasn't able to update from windows/microsoft or anything.

5. huggie54

huggie54

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!