1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't install USB optical mouse

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by apohran, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apohran

apohran Thread Starter

Hi,

New to the forum, and thankful that people are willing to give of their time to help with these issues..

2 days ago my XP SP3 notebook decided it didn't like USB mice. I've tried several standard USB optical mice (2 button + wheel) to no avail. These mice work fine on other notebooks/desktops.

When I plug a mouse in, it detects the new hardware, and sees it as "USB PS/2 Optical Mouse." XP searches and can't find any compatible drivers. It used to work fine with the standard "HID compliant" mouse driver. Now, nothing.

I've tried all the drivers I can find, I've even re installed the original drivers.cab file from the XP Pro install cd....nothing.

Any suggestions?

2. Andason

Andason

Was there a driver included with the mouse?

3. vicks

vicks

Welcome to TSG forums.
    Here is something to try:
    Right click on My Computer, select properties. Hardware, Device Manager.
    When that opens, is there anything with a yellow triangle and a ! or ? in it?
    If there is, (*)right click on it, select properties, remove. Immediately reboot the computer and let Windows find it and reinstall it.(*)
    If there is no triangle, still do the rest of the instructions between the (*) with the mouse listing.(*)
    Let us know how this goes.
    Good Luck
    vicks

4. apohran

apohran Thread Starter

thanks for your prompt responses.

andason -- if there was a driver with the mouse, it's long gone by now. it's been working with the HID compliant mouse driver for the past 6+ months. I've even gone to the Logitech site and downloaded the recommended drivers...no dice.

vicks -- yes, the device manager shows a yellow triangle. deleting it and restarting/reinstalling doesn't work. XP produces the same error of not finding a compatible driver. it recognizes the hardware as "usb ps/2 optical mouse" , for which it cannot find a driver.

5. bbearren

bbearren

Start > Run and type

sfc /scannow

Have your XP CD handy.

6. apohran

apohran Thread Starter

I ran sfc, it completed. Now I'm getting a new install error:

"There was a problem installing this hardware: Logitech USB Optical Tilt Wheel Mouse. This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)."

And the USB PS/2 Optical Mouse still shows yellow triangle in device manager.

7. vicks

vicks

Try going to www.driverguide.com. This site is free to use but you must register to use it. I think you should be able to get the correct driver from there.
    Good Luck.
    Vicks

8. bbearren

bbearren

The problem could be in the USB drivers. You could try unplugging everything from the USB ports, uninstalling them in Device Manager, reboot and let Windows detect them and reinstall the drivers.

9. apohran

apohran Thread Starter

**** PROBLEM SOLVED *****

I ended up doing a Windows Repair from the install CD. Nothing else worked :s

With the repair, it seems to be fine. I guess the drivers somehow became corrupt.

10. vicks

vicks

Glad you were able to solve your problem.
    Feel free to mark it solved, if you are satisfied. There is a button at the top left of your original post.
    vicks

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/852714