1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't let my 98's access anything

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Bradstard, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bradstard

Bradstard Thread Starter

Hello, I've been searching the net to find an answer to this problem for a few hours now. I've got three computers networked through a Linksys router. I want them all to be fully shared with eachother. Right now, the internet works fine on all of them (shared through the router) and we can even play network games. The problem is that my 98se computers can't access anything on my XP computer. It shows up on the network neighbourhood, but when I click it, it says it's not accessible. "No permission to access resource". The XP computer can read and write to both the 98se's with no trouble. I've had it running before so I thought I knew what I was doing, but this problem has me stumped. I have NetBeui, ipx/spx, and tcp/ip installed on all the pcs. They are all on the same workgroup, and I'm pretty sure the XP computer doesn't have it's firewall up. I've got no clue what could be causing this. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Brad

2. Rockn

Rockn

Have you set up a share on the XP PC? You need to share something like a folder to be able to access anything. Also, try a folder outside the root of C

3. Bradstard

Bradstard Thread Starter

I've got shares coming out the wazoo. Ever drive on the thing is shared, I just tried sharing a folder and it didn't work either.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you ping them ??? via there ip

5. Bradstard

Bradstard Thread Starter

I have no idea how to do that......explain please.

6. Bradstard

Bradstard Thread Starter

Never mind, I looked it up. Yes, I can ping the XP from the 98's

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do you have a user account on the XP machine with the same name and password as you use to logon to the W98 box? If so, does that user account on the XP machine have shares you have established?

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You don't need all those protocols installed. TCP/IP works fine, especially since you can already ping the XP computer.

In addition to having a user account on the XP computer, the default setting of XP Pro requires a password for network access. So this will need to match the user account and password that is logging into the Win98 computer. If there is no password for that user, you will need to create one.

Also, what is the Simple Filesharing setting on the XP Computer.

9. Bradstard

Bradstard Thread Starter

After some more searching, I switched off the Simple File sharing and set up shares but it still didn't work. I was about to give up when I found that by typing \\xpcomputer\c\ I could access the hard drive with full control. I still can't access through network neighbourhood though.

"the default setting of XP Pro requires a password for network access"

does this mean I need to create a password on the account I use for both computers? I don't have a password and haven't had to enter one ever, and it still let me access the files. I may have switched it off somehow. Thanks again for the help guys.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223739

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice