1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't link programs - or itself

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ams9908, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ams9908

ams9908 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum but not new to computers but this one has me stumped :confused:

When I load a program if it prompts you to get an update or load the serial number if you do so, i.e click on the 'update' button etc, instead of taking you to the website for that program or downloading the update it just takes you to a new Google Chrome page - Chrome is my default browser.

If you click on a file that XP doesn't recognise and it comes up with the 'Do you want Windows to search the web etc' pop-up if you click on yes - it takes you to a new Google Chrome page !:confused::confused:

If I want to get an update or register a program at the moment I have to email the program maker, wait for them to reply and then go to the link they give me.

I've never had this before it's as if XP is just doing it to annoy me ! :)

If anyone has any ideas as how to fix it I'd really appreciate it .

Thanks,

ams

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

try making IE your default browser and see if that makes any difference - I know some things prefer to use IE - in fact some network routers you can log in unless on IE

3. ams9908

ams9908 Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea but I just tried it, I've never had a problem with Chrome before, and even though I had set IE as my default when I tried to open an unrecognised file (which is a Guitar Pro file by the way - I just haven't got round to re-installing the program yet) it still did exactly as it did before - new Chrome page ! :confused:

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

should have nothing to do with chrome if IE set as default - strange

is this an association problem ?
    sounds different to your original post

5. ams9908

ams9908 Thread Starter

No, it's the same as my first post - it doesn't matter what type of 'unrecognised' file (all of which I have the associated programs for) I try it does the same thing. The main thing that concerns me is not only does it do this if I try this type of file but also if I try to update a program.

6. ams9908

ams9908 Thread Starter

Hi,

I've just done a quick scan and found msjava.dll is missing. On Google there are as many different recommendations as to how to fix this as there are posts so I'll ask everyone to pitch in please :-

1. Does anyone know a way to repair this without doing a restore ? If so, please tell me :)

2. Do you think this might be the cause of my problem - or part of it ?

Much appreciated,
    ams.

7. ams9908

ams9908 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I thought, "If the msjava.dll is missing what if none of the Java files are functioning properly ?" so I downloaded the Sun Java download and - KER-CHING ! everything works fine now !

Might be one to keep a note of ?

Many thanks for your help but I think this one is solved now.

ams

8. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

(y) thanks for letting us know
    You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the page of the thread in the upper left corner. :)

9. ams9908

ams9908 Thread Starter

Thanks - just done it (y)

10. ams9908

ams9908 Thread Starter

I thought downloading Sun Java had cured my problem but it's back again.:confused:

I've done adware and virus scans - nothing. Tried uninstalling then reinstalling Java - no good, made no difference.

Another thing I've noticed, any Google shortcuts I had that used to work just take me to a blank Google page.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Going mad fast,
    ams

11. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1048864