1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't load after restore

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by andy6, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andy6

andy6 Thread Starter

hi guys, i'm using the internet connection on my wii so typing a long message with the pointer should be fun lol

well my computer was starting to run slightly slower than usual and occasionally freezing when using a lot of memory so i decided to backup the files i needed and restore the computer to factory default using the reload backup cd, i have done this quite a few times before without any problems but this time after the process had finished and i restarted my computer all it says is

Verifying DMI Pool Data
    Boot from CD
    Boot from CD

then noting happens, i cant even get it to run in safe mode, tapping f8 whilst the computer is starting up has no effect

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

It could be that the CMOS battery might be getting a bit weak and might need to be replaced and they are really cheap at WalMart. If you give this a try please take out the battery with the computer off.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Is the hard drive correctly recognized in the computer's BIOS?
    Is the computer configured to boot from the hard drive?

4. andy6

andy6 Thread Starter

thanks for the replies guys! i replaced the battery with no effect :( :(

I think that all the compter settings will be ok, I have restored the computer before and it had woked fine, I have put the settings to optimised defaults to make sure and that didn't work either :(

I hear that you can dowload somthing to be able to boot from floppy discs, would this work for me?

thanks for your help!
    Andy

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since you can get to the BIOS, can you see that it correctly recognizes the hard drive?

And just to clear something up. Because something worked before, that doesn't necessarily mean it will work again. Things do break.

6. andy6

andy6 Thread Starter

OK sorry about that

I can get into setup by pressing delete when the computer 1st comes on, but i'm unsure how to check if it correctly recognises the hard drive. I assume its in "Advanced BIOS Features"?

:eek: :eek:

thanks for your help :eek:

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Typically it would be showing on the first screen. Perhaps it shows under a boot device. All depends on the type of BIOS

8. andy6

andy6 Thread Starter

It says:

1st Boot Device [CDROM]
    2nd Boot Device [Floppy]
    3rd Boot Device [HDD-0]
    Other Boot Device [Enabled]

Ahh.... I think HDD means hard drive! lol
    Hope this is all good :)

andy

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice