1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't load - can't boot from CD - HELP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dewski, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dewski

dewski Thread Starter

I have an Acer One netbook (it has no floppy or cd but I have an external cd that I have been using to try to fix from) It is loaded with XPSP3
    When I went to load XP the other day, I got BlueScreen saying there was an error in system32/config

I have tried everything I know to get it to work with no luck. I can access the drive fine using puppy linux and have copied the data files that I wanted to keep and figured I would just reformat the drive and reinstall XP. I have tried every bootable CD (including the original XP disk) that I could find on the net and I cannot get anything to start without it coming back to the same error screen. The only thing that I have been able to get to work was the puppy linux boot cd. I am pretty sure the HD is still good since I was able to see and access files using puppy. I really don't want to buy a new HD for it as it is not worth it at this point. What else can I try to fix this and/or reinstall Windows XP??

Thanks!
    Darryl
    Utah, USA

2. AtlBo

AtlBo

Just an idea, but could the RAM memory be the problem. Maybe puppy didn't use any bad parts of your RAM. I don't know, but I guess you could try pulling out all but 1 stick and then change them out booting one at a time until you have tried them all. Maybe one will work. Just a guess.

One thing...I think your HD may be bad in spite of you being able to see and retrieve your files. This is because they may have been on a good sector. Let's face it the sectors containing Windows get the most work, so it seems sensible that they would go out first...

3. dewski

dewski Thread Starter

So I used puppy to delete the partition using GParted...created a new partition and then exited out and tried to boot from the XP cd and still get the same error after it runs through for a bit. If it is a bad sector, Is there no way to flag those as not used and still salvage the drive and reload windows?
    Just seems weird that before I deleted the partition, I could use puppy to see EVERYTHING on the drive including the windows system folders etc. Really trying to do anything I can to salvage the drive and not have to buy a new one since it would prob cost close to or more than the netbook is even worth at this point lol

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I thought the XP CD allowed you to do a CHKDSK ?

5. AtlBo

AtlBo

dewski...

Don't have enough experience with parts to be of much assistance here. I've replaced a few hard drives and noticed some things about them when they are going bad. The best thing here obviously is that you got your files. That's great.

Maybe someone will come along with some expertise in parts who can help explain your options better than I..

6. AtlBo

AtlBo

Dave...any way to run a chkdsk or similar from Puppy Linux?

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Not directly. You could get hold of the Ultimate Boot CD or similar that do have CHKDSK on them. I use Hiren's.

8. AtlBo

AtlBo

OK, thanks. I will take a look at that.

Dave...I just looked at the programs included in Hiren's. This is great, thanks for the tip...

:)

9. dewski

dewski Thread Starter

Can you link me to the test CD so I can try it. I have tried to load the XP disk, BartPE and one other one...they all try to load and then error out. The only thing I have been able to load from CD so far has been puppy. Strange since I did end up deleting the partition and formatting the drive from puppy...and still when I tried to load the XP disk or Bartpe...same thing, errors out when it gets to the loading Windows....even though there is nothing on the HD now. It might be bricked but I have not given up all hope yet. Any other thoughts/ideas? Or where I can get a good 2.5 sata drive on the cheap. :)

10. AtlBo

AtlBo

OK...would need your hard drive manufacturer for that. Not sure it would run in Linux if that's how you would have to go to get the test program (although there may be a burnable test program). I don't know the capabilities you have with Puppy.

If you can download and burn a disk somehow (puppy or another machine), try DaveBurnette's idea. I just burned a copy of Hiren's to a DVD and checked it out. Wow, this is a serious program. It has hard drive tests from all the hard drive manufacturers already on it (and MemTest for testing RAM). Basically, it has a program called MiniXP that you can boot into and run many of the tests. Otherwise, the initial boot is to a DOS menu with all the options, including MiniXP. Over 200 tools on the disk to work with. Here's the download link:

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Here is the list of programs on the CD:

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Thanks again to DaveBurnette. I can't believe this is free and existed without me knowing!

dewski...hopefully, you can boot to the Hiren's disk if you decide to go that way...fingers crossed...

11. rajeevrnair

rajeevrnair

Simply google "error in system32/config". youll find an answer. The problem has already been solved elsewhere

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!