1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP wont load/Computer wont start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pixxi, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pixxi

pixxi Thread Starter

Nothing will load on my Compaq Presario 700 notebook. It wont even turn on in safe mode.
    When I go to turn it on it sounds like the hard drive attempts to spin. I don't hear the fans, but all the lights come on. The battery is fairly new and everything is plugged in properly.
    All this began when I was running Macromedia Dreamweaver MX and it locked up forcing me to shut down.
    Any ideas?

2. Alanspatz

Alanspatz

have you tried to hook up a monitor to your vga output?? trie that and I will see what i can do

Alan

3. pixxi

pixxi Thread Starter

Unfortunately I don't have an extra monitor.

I did eventually get it to turn on in safe mode as well as normal mode. It seems to be running fine, but I'm afraid to turn it off. :(

Also, I contacted Compaq support via chat and they didn't have much to say:

Go figure.

Any ideas on the hardware malfunction they are talking about?

4. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi There!

Here's what you want to do...

1. Unplug the AC Adapter
    2. Remove the Battery
    3. depress the power button for 60 seconds to discharge energy in the motherboard & BIOS.

4. Plug ONLY the AC Adapter back in
    5. Power the laptop back up.

If the above doesn't work, then there may be more serious problems with the motherboard. but it sounds like the laptop is stuck in suspend or hibernation.

and YES, I used to work for Compaq!

5. D4H

D4H

Ok this all started maybe a week or so ago when my computer just woudnt turn on. I found out that its my power supply thats causing problems, so what i did was i went online and ordered another one that had the exact same specifications of my first one, to the T... when it came though it had a pentium 4 sticker on it, but my computers processor is AMD athlon.. i just went ahead and put it in and everything was working fine for a while. Later on that day the computer kept on freezing up, i would try to open up a movie and it would freeze.. so id reset.. then id try to open another movie and it would freeze again.. or it would just freeze randomly. So after resetting this one time, when i try loading the computer up, it says that windows cannot load properly because "Windows\APPpatch\*something*\DRVmain.sdb" is missing or corrupt. It told me I can attempt to fix it by putting in my windows setup cd and pressing R for repair but when i put in my windows XP cd i used to install with, nothing happends and i get the same error.. The main thing i want to do right now is just find a way to back up my files because i dont want to do anything that may risk losing my stuff. Is there a way i can take the HD out and use it on someone elses computer and then back up my files this way?? Secondly id like a fix to this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

6. svengal1

svengal1

I don't see why you won't be able to take the hd out of your computer and put it into a different computer to transfer the files so that you can backup. Then format and reinstall the O/S into the hd then transfer your files again.

I heard that Norton Ghost 2003 is a good app to back up your files also ,but, I have never tried it. I would ask someone else about that application before going out and purchasing it.

7. CgambleH

CgambleH

What happened when you tried to start in safe mode. My laptop is not starting either, not in safe mode, not when I boot from the operating system CD, nothing. It just keeps going back to the error screen where it says registry_error. What did you do to finally get it working?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168459

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice