1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't load USB devices at startup.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by troyw3412, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. troyw3412

troyw3412 Thread Starter

Good evening:

I have a very troublesome problem concerning a customer's laptop and her USB mouse and other USB devices.

Basically, WindowsXP does not load the USB devices when starting up. If the mouse is plugged into the USB port when the computer boots and Windows XP loads, it is not recognized. There are no "unknown devices" in the device manager concerning the mouse, and it is unresponsive. This is the same symptom of my thumb drive and her IPOD.

Interestingly enough, the optical mouse (not wireless) does have power as it is lit up during POST screens, however, it shuts off when Windows loads. To use the device, we have to unplug them from the USB port and plug them back in. At this point, Windows will recognize the device is present and allow us to use it.

The USB emulation settings in the BIOS were turned off, I've switched them to "on" and still have no luck with this.

I cannot recall the specific model of the computer, but I do know it is of the Toshiba Satellite series if this makes any difference.

Thank you for any assistance on this as I've beat my head against a wall with this for about 5 or 6 hours and would appreciate about any suggestions (even if it includes beating the laptop against the wall).

2. happyrck

happyrck

try these
    Run regedit

Do you have this key and is the startup mode set to 3

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR

Do you have any devices listed under this key?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR

Run services.msc .....is the Plug and Play service present, started, and set to 'automatic' startup?

Open Folder Options ....View and ensure "show hidden files" is enabled. Navigate to C:\windows\INF

Do you have "usbstor.inf" there? Right click on it and select "install". There will be no prompts or confirmations.

Reboot and try attaching a USB storage device. Do you get any detection sound?

I stole ..uh uh.. borrowed this from johnwill so if it doesn't work we will blame him :eek: ...and of course if it works I should get the credit :D :D

3. happyrck

happyrck

I also suggest you beat the laptop on a rock and not the wall as patching sheetrock and repainting is time consuming and it will probably make the customer cranky :D ;)

4. troyw3412

troyw3412 Thread Starter

Thank you, Happyrck!

I'm going to see this patient lady again this week and will give your suggestions a whirl. If that doesn't work, she's already purchased a shotgun and we will prevent holes in the wall. Instead we'll need a couple pieces of sod to cover the hole from the 00 buckshot.

Thank you again. I'm pretty confident this will work. I'll follow up with results.

5. happyrck

happyrck

dont shoot in the house...take it out in the street and I suggest a skeet thrower for the laptop...works in the city as well as in the country....it will keep the local children and dogs from hanging around your house as a added attraction :D :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/473831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice