1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp wont load

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wguido, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wguido

wguido Thread Starter

When my husbands computer boots up, it will not go to Windows, it just keep restarting...it wont let him go into safe mode or anything...PLEASE HELP!!! All my information is on it...I cant lose it

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try a repair installation.

Do you have the full XP CD? If so, boot from it. Do not choose the first "R" for repair. Continue. After the license (F8), you should see your XP installation listed. Follow those directions and press "R" then.

3. wguido

wguido Thread Starter

Do not choose it, or choose it? I am confused because you say continue...

4. wguido

wguido Thread Starter

Nevermind...it ownt even boot from the cd...is it possible to take the hard drive to a computer store and copy the data? and of so, how much do you think it will cost...

5. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

You have to go into the BIOS to be sure that the CDROM is higher in the boot order than the hard drive.
    Your's must be failing to boot from the CD because of that.
    Do you have a manual that will tell you how to get to the BIOS?
    Usually you press the Delete button at a certain point (it will tell you) after pressing the start button.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do NOT choose the first "R".

If you can't boot from CD, use this boot floppy set to start setup from the floppy drive and it will then switch to the CD if you don't know how to make it boot from CD. Get the XP setup set for your version of XP.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

7. wguido

wguido Thread Starter

Will I lose my information? We have tried everything, would it just be easier to take it somewhere?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!