xp wont load

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wguido

When my husbands computer boots up, it will not go to Windows, it just keep restarting...it wont let him go into safe mode or anything...PLEASE HELP!!! All my information is on it...I cant lose it

Try a repair installation.

Do you have the full XP CD? If so, boot from it. Do not choose the first "R" for repair. Continue. After the license (F8), you should see your XP installation listed. Follow those directions and press "R" then.

wguido

Elvandil said:
Try a repair installation.

Do you have the full XP CD? If so, boot from it. Do not choose the first "R" for repair. Continue. After the license (F8), you should see your XP installation listed. Follow those directions and press "R" then.

Do not choose it, or choose it? I am confused because you say continue...

wguido

Nevermind...it ownt even boot from the cd...is it possible to take the hard drive to a computer store and copy the data? and of so, how much do you think it will cost...

You have to go into the BIOS to be sure that the CDROM is higher in the boot order than the hard drive.
Your's must be failing to boot from the CD because of that.
Do you have a manual that will tell you how to get to the BIOS?
Usually you press the Delete button at a certain point (it will tell you) after pressing the start button.

Do not choose it, or choose it? I am confused because you say continue...
Do NOT choose the first "R".

If you can't boot from CD, use this boot floppy set to start setup from the floppy drive and it will then switch to the CD if you don't know how to make it boot from CD. Get the XP setup set for your version of XP.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

wguido

Will I lose my information? We have tried everything, would it just be easier to take it somewhere?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online