1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't load

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RKramden, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RKramden

RKramden Thread Starter

Hi All,

This problem came up after I had to replace my son's mobo, CPU, memory & vid card. Due to his CPU fan failing, his Athlon XP cpu melted forcing the above replacements. Now when I try to boot his system, I get the GO BACK screen and then it flashes a BSOD (too fast to see or even freeze with the PAUSE/BREAK key, then restarts. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Tim

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Firstly, the Athlon CPU should not have fried. The Athlon that you specify has a built-in heat sensor cutout to protect the CPU typically from a fan malfunctioning. So if you still have the pieces then you might have a very good case to ask for a full reimbursement.

Now to your problem.

1. Does the BIOS screen come up as normal and is the first part of the boot process normal?

2. To what exactly are you referring when you say ".... the GO BACK screen..."

3. Have you tried booting from the XP CD and pressing F10 to get you into the Recovery Console?

Also...

Having changed so many components, you basically have a new PC. Windows may require you to reactivate your license once you are up and running.

3. Ablack86

Ablack86

1. I would first backup any needed data using a linux live cd. (like knoppix or dapper)
    2. I would then boot off of my XP installation cd, and try to perform a "repair" installation.
    3. If this does not work you may have to wipe and reload... = /

You may even want to try step 2 first because 1 will only be needed if 2 dosen't work. I'm just anal about backup though, I don't like losing data.

4. Ablack86

Ablack86

Oh, and let me explain what's happening too, I forgot to do that.

The old chipset drivers for your motherboard are installed on your hard drive. Since you got a new motherboard, when you boot up, windows looks for the chipset drivers, and grabs the ones for your OLD motherboard. If both motherboards use the same chipset drivers this wouldn't be a problem, but what I believe is happening, is your new board wants different drivers that what were previously installed.

5. MrBillPro

MrBillPro

XP does not like hardware changes you can do a repair "I hate repairs most don't go perfect" this is why all 3 pc's I have networked at home have the exact same components in them with one back-up motherboard for all, It may be a little overkill but I sure can get back up and running soon without any software issues after any failure.;)

6. Ablack86

Ablack86

Haha that's total overkill,lol but it reminds me of something I'd do.
    And I agree, I don't think a "repair" installation has ever worked for me, but it IS the MS answer...

7. RKramden

RKramden Thread Starter

Hi All

Thanks for the replies. First of all, to further explain the problem. My son had left the system running when he went out and came home to a "burning smell". When I got home, the heatsink was loose off the CPU (not good). This system isn't the one on my signature, that one is mine. Unfortunately this mobo did NOT have the requisite sensor/shut-down capabilities. I am aware that XP doesn't enjoy hardware changes (having dealt with it during my own frequent hardware upgrade processes. But even with upgrades, you can usually boot into safe mode (I didn't mention that I get the same result attempting that also). That is what I had done prior to my usual upgrades, beside uninstalling the drivers that I could. My other problem is that for some reason, XP doesn't recognize the prior installation. It shows the drive as being the full size, not the split partition that I have on it. Soooo, to make a long story a bit shorter, I guess I'm screwed. Fortunately I have a spare HDD so I can try to salvage his files. I'm going the fresh install route now. Thanks for all your help...THIS time I'm going to make an image of his HDD (and my own as well).

8. RKramden

RKramden Thread Starter

I tried using Knoppix live cd...booted fine worked great, but I'm clueless on how it works. Looks interesting however, may install LINUX as a second OS on my machine. I couldn't delete files that I wanted to (drivers for the mobo and vid card). I kept getting a file protected error. Then I was trying to write a new boot.ini file and couldn't save it on the hard drive. Very frustrating...but I wasn't in the mood to play with it last night.

Thanks again.

9. Tabvla

Tabvla

Hi RKramden

If you are considering a professional backup/image/restore/recovery solution then you may want to consider Acronis True Image Home version 9 as an option.

Product is well supported by a group of dedicated users. You can browse the User Forum at this link:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php

Scoll down until you get to "Official Acronis Support Forum" and then click on "Acronis True Image Product Line".

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice