1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't play media player

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sirdeeker, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sirdeeker

sirdeeker Thread Starter

I was having some computer problems and a friend offered to clean up my computer to make it run faster. Now I can't get Media player to run, my printer will no longer print and the windows file search program won't run. I tried downloading another copy of Media palyer 11 and that doesn't run. If I click on a wave file media player won't run. If I just try to start media player directly it still won't run Any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

2. tony007

tony007 Banned

Try a system restore to before your friend worked on it.

3. redhat9

redhat9

Make sure your sound card is correctaly installed under device manager. Right click on my computer, properties, hardware tab, device manager, look under sound, video, and game controllers for some sort of sound device. Look at the image attached below.

Attached Files:

4. sirdeeker

sirdeeker Thread Starter

The reason we started 'fixing' the computer was because of an Internet script error so I don't want to go back to an older version of my computer. I was told to reinstall windows XP. When the install runs I was told it will give an option to just repair all the missing or damaged XP files. Does this sound accurate?

Also, if I have to do a full reinstall of XP, will it keep all my program links etc. or will it just give me a clean startup without any links that have been built up over the last 3 years?

Also, the sound card is fully seated. I hear the windows startup and shut down sounds with no problem.

Thank you for your help.:confused:

5. online_fixes

online_fixes

Doing a clean install you will loose everything you don't backup. If you want to check the system files do the following.

Please start the Command Prompt by Clicking Start and then Run and typing cmd and pressing enter.

When the dos window opens type or copy & paste sfc /scannow and press enter.

Windows will check the presence and versions of all vital files. You will be prompted for the Windows CD if anything needs to be replaced.

6. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

My advice restore the pc to before your friend started fiddling with it

Then post in the security forum and they will help
    I suspect you have more problems

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!