1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't read CD-RWs made on Windows98!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Forgotten18, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Forgotten18

Forgotten18 Thread Starter

I made some CD-RWs on my Windows 98 computer and they work fine. (I used Adaptec DirectCD) However, when I put the CD-RW into my laptop that has Windows XP and try to open the disk I see no files, and for where it says the properties of the disk it says 0 mb full. I can't understand this as the cd-rw works fine when I put it back into the Winodows 98 computer, but shows up blank on Windows XP. Can someone help me please, I have important info on this cd I need to open on my laptop. Thanks.

2. Deathblow

Deathblow

What type of writer did you make them with? I know CDRW's that I created with my Old HP writer, won't read on anything but HP drives. I eneded up having to burn them to regular CDs to access the files on my new drives.

3. Forgotten18

Forgotten18 Thread Starter

I burned them on an HP CD Writer Plus 8000 series, but my laptop is an HP too.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Writing them with Direct CD requires a similar "packet writer" such as Direct CD or INCD to read them. Normal CD reading software will not recognise the proprietary format. You need to load the software to read it, just make sure you use XP compatable versions.

Incidentally using the "drag and drop" writing under DirectCD etc to a CD-RW is less than reliable. Your files, your risk.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice