1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Won't Reboot-Endless Loop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MrEd1, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrEd1

MrEd1 Thread Starter

Hello,

RE: Windows XP Home, SP 3/ Have Windows Recovery Console Installed. Have Sony Recovery Disk.

FYI….Prior to this problem, I had other issues from running CC Cleaner registry cleaner I think.
    I ran Malware Bytes full screen, Spybot Search and Destroy, Trojan Remover and Avast Antivirus full scan. No issues except a false positive with Trojan remover (it seemed) over Jawbone Uninstaller.

Description: Computer was hanging when trying to reboot. Hangs at “Computer is shutting down” so I installed Microsoft user hive fixit repair to it would shut down. Restored an old registry file from a couple weeks ago because of other issues including Internet explorer 7 not starting, windows update problem etc. Computer would not reboot as it was hanging again. Forced a manual shutdown.

Upon reboot, computer in endless reboot loop loading bar going across then flashes of the following: windows screen, flash of blue screen, no input signal, Sony screen, XP system options. Hit f8 to windows advanced Options Menu. Tried last known good config twice but same loop. Tried rebooting to safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, safe mode with networking but still same loop. Booted to windows recovery console and ran chkdsk /f /r but still same loop problem. Selected disable automatic restart then Microsoft Windows XP and get BSOD. I power down and manually reboot and the endless loop starts again.

This is an old Sony Desktop but I have a lot of software etc. without original disks so I would like to avoid wiping it clean if possible. I do have the original Sony recovery disks but not the serial number. Since the Windows recovery console is available, are there any suggestions to rebuild or replace needed boot files or others to try and get this thing back up? Any suggestions? Thank you!

Here is the BSOD message:

“A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you’ve seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0XF8A0C528, 0xc0000034,0x00000000, 0x00000000).

2. REDSKINS28

REDSKINS28

I have basically the same problem (Compaq, 9 year old computer, prefer not to lose what I have on it, no real backup) and my error codes are: STOP 0X00000024 (0X000190203 0X84F7A9F8 0XC0000102 0X00000000) XP screen for 1/2 second or less, compaq screen, then, black screen with options (safe modes , last known, windows normal, etc.) I never get to anything but those 3 screens. I'm at my wits end! What do I do??? Thanks!!!

3. MrEd1

MrEd1 Thread Starter

Hello my friend,

I was able to at least get my computer out of that loop and boot to windows. When I do though, I have only a blue screen and a blinking cursor. I can tell you what I did and you can see if it helps.

Here is a blurb on your error with some troubleshooting…..just for background as please read all the way through before you do anything as was copying and pasting a lot on here.

Stop 0x00000024 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

The Stop 0x24 message indicates that a problem occurred within Ntfs.sys, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. A similar Stop message, 0x23, exists for the file allocation table (FAT16 or FAT32) file systems.

Possible Resolutions:

# Malfunctioning SCSI and Advanced Technology Attachment (ATA) hardware or drivers can also adversely affect the system's ability to read and write to disk, causing errors. If using SCSI hard disks, check for cabling and termination problems between the SCSI controller and the disks. Periodically check Event Viewer for error messages related to SCSI or FASTFAT in the System log or Autochk in the Application log.

# Verify that the tools you use to continually monitor your system, such as virus scanners, backup programs, or disk defragmenters are compatible with Windows XP. Some disks and adapters come packaged with diagnostic software that you can use to run hardware tests.

Microsoft KB articles:

Troubleshooting Stop 0x24 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM Error Messages
    Troubleshooting Stop 0x24 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM Error Messages
    STOP 0x23 (or STOP 0x24) When restarting PC after installing PC-Magic Encrypted Magic Folders

I’m assuming you are running XP home like me. Hopefully you have the boot disk that came with your system, if not keep reading  Here is how to install it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

If you can burn a disk on another computer, you can make your own boot disk here: Here is a little blurb from another board…Btw…I like this site for help although they couldn’t help me with this issue too much so far. www.techspot.com

"I can not get to windows at all - can't start in safe mode...etc"
    Is there anyone who can help you with the BIOS? Do you have the disc for your OS? You will probably have to boot from it and use the Recovery console. What was happening that you had to try to boot from the CD in the first place? Is that the full OS, an upgrade, OEM- what?

On your working computer download Bart's PE Builder from
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ and run it to create a bootable CD.

Boot your problem computer with this CD, open a Command Prompt window,
    and enter the following command:

CHKDSK C: /R

and see if that fixes the problem.

For more information abot your error see
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

Okay, if that didn’t work for you then you need to get to the recovery console somehow. See above. If you don’t have the windows xp disk then it is a little tricky unless you can borrow one I suppose.

Anyway, here is what I did from the recovery console. It looks complicated but you can do it. I didn’t have any system restore points so didn’t get that far.

http://www.aitechsolutions.net/winxpnoboot.html

I was referred to this site and emailed “Hiren” explaining my problem today and he said to try "registry restore wizard" from minixp” at his site He has a bunch of pages with no search box so it might take awhile to find. I looked part way thru but did the recover console registry fix. He has a lot of utilities though.

http://www.hiren.info/downloads/freeware-tools/1

Here is my email to him btw…

Hey Hiren,

One of the techspot guys suggested your CD as my old Sony with XP home won't boot. I ran CC Cleaner for the registry and then did a full registry restore from a complete backup file and then tried to restart and PC is in an endless loop or screens but never getting to windows. I can get to the windows recovery console though. The techspot guy thought if I ran boot version of CC Cleaner again perhaps it would fix the registry. The error message on the BSOd is below.

Do you have any recommendations from your CD to get my computer back running? I was wondering if I could boot from thumb drive or maybe find a floppy disk somewhere? My mobo is from 2001 though so maybe not.! How much for the CD as I don't have a burner at the moment as it is on the crashed computer. How quick can you send me the CD?

Anyway, I appreciate your time! Thank you!

Ed

P.S. I tried the following from the recovery console:

Black Screen Hang (before splash screen shows)
    - Disk Diagnostic
    - CHKDSK /F /R (try to boot)
    - fixmbr (try to boot)
    - fixboot (try to boot)
    - Safe Mode (try to boot)

Here is the BSOD crash error:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0XF8A0C528, 0xc0000034,0x00000000, 0x00000000).

Here is the thread I was using at techspot.com before the crash in case you want to read it.. They said I had to do a system repair from the boot disk or wipe the drive but I didn’t want to lose everything.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1112356#post1112356

Basically I have been googling for two days trying to figure this thing out.

Here is another possibility:

Boot up with your CD in the CD ROM and when you presented with Windows Setup
    Options:
    1- Install Windows
    2- Repair existing copy
    3- Quit
    Select 2 by Pressing R on your keyboard, on the Command Prompt type:
    C:\Windows>CD.. Hit [Enter..] on your Keyboard
    on the new Prompt type this:
    C:\>
    Options:
    1- Install Windows
    2- Repair existing copy
    3- Quit
    Select 2 by Pressing R on your keyboard, on the Command Prompt type:
    C:\Windows>CD.. Hit [Enter..] on your Keyboard
    on the new Prompt type this:
    C:\>
    copy X:\i386\ntldr c:\ where X is the Drive Letter for your CD-Rom
    copy X:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\ " " "
    Please type one at a time click/Hit [Enter..]
    You may need to rebuild your Boot.ini type this on the Prompt:
    C:\>Boot.ini click Enter and you will see your Boot.ini you can Edit it or
    if was intact leave as is, the boot.ini will look like this, be aware this
    for XP Home so if you have XP pro:

[1] C:\Windows
    Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
    = You receive a message that is similar to the following message:
    Enter Load Identifier
    This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this
    message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER.
    This is either

Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

= You receive a message that is similar to the following:
    Enter OS Load options
    When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

Note The instructions that appear on your screen may be different,
    depending on the configuration of your machine.

- Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console. Your
    computer restarts, and the updated boot list appears when you receive
    the "Please select the operating system to start" message".

The boot.ini will look like this:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home
    Edition" /fastdetect
    You will get Boot Indentifier: Enter this " Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"
    Boot Loader: Enter this" /fastdetect"
    When you finished type: reboot (I'm not sure if it is right you can Type ?
    to get the list of commands and see if reboot is one) or Exit.

That is the Recovery Console:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;307654

HTH.
    Please let us know.
    Regards,
    nass
    ------
    www.nasstec.co.uk

Here are some other links that might be of interest. Hope that helps! Well, back to pulling my hair out….LOL.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Lastly you can upgrade to Vista then back down to XP if you want to save your stuff.

Best Wishes!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!