XP Won't Reboot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

roshamboe

My sisters Dell lapop with windows XP refuses to startup. It starts loading fine and when you get to the loading screen it just stays there for like 10 minutes, then goes black and restarts itself. I tried booting in safe mode and using the last known configuration method but nothing is working. It is fairly new and did not update recently. It just randomly started doing it. Please help.

Do you have the installation disk? If so you can do a "Repair Install."
If you don't have the disk, do you have a recovery partition?

roshamboe

she says that the laptop never came with a disk, how can i get one? And i'm sorry but i don't think i know what a recovery partition is.

It is possible that the computer could be infected with a virus/spyware/etc, or the system files became corrupted somehow. The best thing to do if you can, is to borrow an installation disk, of the same operating system version. Another option is to obtain a "Recovery Disk" from the computer manufacturer.
The recovery disk however; will usually restore the computer back to the factory version and the files, software etc that was added after purchasing will be lost.

roshamboe

I tried using the recovery disk with my gateway desktop but it still did not work. I even tried booting off of a linux disk but that didnt work either.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online