1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP wont recognize all my RAM

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chart2006, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chart2006

chart2006 Thread Starter

So my bios will recognize all 4Gb of RAM but my OS wont. It will only recognize 3Gb. How do i get windows XP to recognize all 4 Gb of RAM?

2. bandit429

bandit429

Below is a link which may help.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Also you could try removing the sticks one at a time and note the changes. See if the bios and windows at any point report an identical amount.

3. chart2006

chart2006 Thread Starter

I've tried removing the module in DIMM slot 4 and that's where there's a change. The OS still stays at 3Gb because there's 3 1Gb modules now but the diagnostic screen at startup portrays a new amount. Instead of 416 thousand or so it drops down to 300 thousand. Not sure of the exact amount but rough estimate. I've tried stwapping module places but still the same. So the Bios is still recognizing all four modules and the full amount of ram but XP home is only recognizing 3Gb.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

What you are seeing is normal. 32-bit Windows reserves 0.5 to 1 GB of PCI address space for system use. Since that address space is within the 4GB space, you see 3GB available.

5. chart2006

chart2006 Thread Starter

But how come it still says 3 GB when i remove one of the modules? Shouldn't it adjust the normal usage for the new amount of RAM? There's nothing wrong with the ram or hardware because my bios will recognize all my ram but XP wont. I thought about adding the IoPageLockLimit command to memory management but i read that it has no basis in xp because xp wont even recognize the command so it's useless. however i did enable the LargeSystem Cacheing. There was no change in the recognized amount of ram even before i made the change.

6. bandit429

bandit429

The fourth slot that you remove and still get a 3gig report,,,,,what happens if you take one of the other 3,,,,remove it leaving 2 and place that fourth in its place?

7. valis

valis Moderator

almost sounds as if the fourth slot is shot.

8. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If you have 4x 1GB sticks of RAM, Windows will show 3GB for the reasons I stated above. If you remove 1GB, Windows will still show 3GB because it is reserving 1GB of PCI address space... not 1GB of your RAM.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539169

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice