1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't recognize onboard sound

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BlackMath, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlackMath

BlackMath Thread Starter

Hello everybody,

I just uninstalled a m-audio delta 1010 sound card. I installed my mobo's(Abit ai7) (sound)drivers from the Abit site Realtek AC 97. Now Xp won't recognize the onboard sound as my default sound device. I have no conflicts in device manager for sound( or anywhere else). I can hear sound when I use the motherboard utility to configure the sound. It tests the speakers with tone; but when I try to play music (mp3) Windows MPlayer says there is no sound device.
    I haven't been able to find anywhere that isn't greyed out that will allow me to choose the realtek as the default.

Oh and when I checked the realtek properties in Device Manager it said the driver was installed but not started.

Of Course any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. n7Epsilon

n7Epsilon

Hi,

Here's a few suggestions:
    1. Try re-installing your motherboard's drivers (I mean the chipset drivers..) first, then the audio drivers second, then the RealTek AC97 driver third (re-booting your PC for each installation). After re-installing the motherboare's drivers, you may need to re-install the graphics card drivers too...

Get the drivers here:
    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/drivers.php?categories=1&model=147

2. Check to see if the Windows Audio service is set to "Automatic" and is started in the "Services" accessible from "Computer Management" (right-click "My Computer" and click on "Manage")

Hope that helps...

3. BlackMath

BlackMath Thread Starter

So, I tried your suggestion, but unfortunately nothing changed. windows service was set to automatic and started. I tried re-starting(the service) but that did nothing as well.

4. BlackMath

BlackMath Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!