1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xp won't run or install after hardware change

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Hey, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hey

Hey Thread Starter

I'm not sure this is really a windows problem, but I didn't know where to put it..
    I've just upgraded my computer with a new motherboard, cpu, ram and cabinet. (And all these things should go great together) I don't remember all the details now but the motherboard is from Asus, and the cpu is a amd athlon xp 3000+. The problem is that now windows xp won't load! First I get the choices of safe mode, last good configuration etc, but when I try one of these, there's a blue screen with some text for about one tenth of a second (so I can't read it) and then the computer restarts (and the same thing happens) The only thing that works is the recovery console, but I'm not sure if that/how that can help me.. So I thought I'd reinstall windows, thinking the hardware change was too much too handle. The thing is, the computer doesn't "react" to the cd (or boot floppy discs) The little light on the cd-rom lights up for three seconds and then the startup continues as usual. No "you are about to install windows" or anything. And yes, I have set the right boot sequence in bios. (Floppy, cd, hd or cd, floppy, hd) I don't understand why the installation cd is just "ignored" like that, since the cd-rom is detected normally in bios. Anyone see what's going on, and how I can get into windows or at least get to reinstall it if that's neccesary? I'd be really grateful, cause I've had a lot of work just building this pc and I'm starting to get very tired of one problem after the other... (sorry about the bad english)

2. Sponsor

3. fhaslangka

fhaslangka

Try to check the specification of the mobo for compatibility issue.

4. Hey

Hey Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I don't understand it.Check compability for what?The cd-rom? The hd? And how do I do that?

5. tomcruise

tomcruise

check if ur Cd is bootable.
    if bootable then try booting with some other bootable CD ,this will confirm ur CD-ROM is properly configured.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

From your post I gather that the RC is working. If you are getting into the RC, then you are booting from the CD. Unless of course you installed the RC as a startup option.

I would boot into the RC and run diskpart [nt version of fdisk] delete all partitions on the disk. Do not create a partition, just leave it raw or unpartitioned. Now type exit to leave the RC. Try the install again booting from the cd. Post back if you are not successful.

7. Hey

Hey Thread Starter

"From your post I gather that the RC is working. If you are getting into the RC, then you are booting from the CD. Unless of course you installed the RC as a startup option."

I have RC as a startup option.

If I delete the partitions, what will happen two all the stuff on the partitions? Will all be gone? I have a 120gb harddisk with 3 partitions, one small for windows etc and two 50+gb partions filled with files..

I will try another bootable cd.. if I can find one, Not sure I have any other.. :-(

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have data / files on the other partition then do not delete them. Delete the 1 or C partition and then run chkdsk from the RC. If it does not find errors or repairs the errors, continue the install.

9. Hey

Hey Thread Starter

Well I tried a different bootable cd and it worked! It's just that my version of windows xp has 6 floppy discs which you must boot from first.. But nothing happens, so the problem seems to be the floppy and not the cd-rom.. Btw, if I put the together my old computer again and can access windows is there anything I can do there to make things better.. Some people suggest deleting the old drivers and I also read that you could delete the old mobo in "device manager" before you install the new one.. Could that help? Or would using the old mobo etc again now just screw things up even worse? Will it be enough to just move the hd into the old cabinett? (I don't want to move the dvd, the cd etc if I don't have to..)

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can swap mb without a clean install, however it is much better to do a clean install of the os. If you do not want to do the clean install, then here are some instructions for doing the swap without a clean install.

During this process DO NOT reboot, tell it later.

1 Connect old mb and boot your computer.
    2 Remove all software that is dependent on the old mb such as onboard sound, nic, monitoring software, etc.
    3 Go into device manager and remove everything that is dependent on the old board. This would be things like floppy drive, usb ports, etc.
    4 Change ide controller to standard ide
    5 Disable [not uninstall] any anti-virus software.
    6 Now shutdown and do the swap.

Now you may reboot when prompted.

Boot with your xp cd and choose install from the first menu. The next menu will show all previous xp installs and give you the option to repair; let it do so. After the repair install you will need to reapply all updates, service pack 2, install chipset / mb drivers. In addition I like to reinstall the video driver.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/262681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice