XP wont see thumb drive Network drive F

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ranber

On our system at work when I plug in a thumb drive because our network drive is f it assigns that letter to the thumb and I cant see it. I go through Manage then Disk Management ect and assign a Drive letter to the USB thumb. I dont want to do this if I dont have to. I also dont want to have the IT guys remap the entire network if possible. Is there a way around this.
I want to be able to just plug in a thumb drive and have xp see it without going through disk management to change a assigned letter.

Thanks

TerryNet

Terry
Isn't it sorta unusual to assign a network drive a letter early in the alphabet, because of the problem you are having? How about remapping that network drive to Z or some other "late" letter? It would only have to be remapped on your computer.

Note though that my experience is with home networks and there may be some valid reason that F is used at your work. I just don't understand what that could be.

ranber

I thought it was a little dumb too by the IT guys, mainly because the system
has just been completely replaced/upgraded about two years ago. If it was old I could
see it, but I don't know why they assigned it F instead of Z. Short of
remapping the network (about 30 computers) is there a way around the
reassigning the letter each time I put a thumb drive in?

Can you reassign it on just one computer in a newtork that large? I was going to try it but dont want to mess anything up until Im sure

TerryNet

Terry
If this mapping is something you do via My Computer - Tools and 'Disconnect Network Drive ..." and "Map Network Drive ..." then I know no reason why it should matter whether you use F or G or T or Z, etc., on any given computer. However, the IT folks may have a reason--maybe just for consistency across all computers; maybe something that they can do remotely and automatically. Probably best to ask them if it's OK for you to go ahead and try a change.

Another possible idea: you must have C, D and E drives; probably 1 or 2 disk partitions and 2 or 1 removeable media drives. If you were to change, say, the E drive to be G, then Windows would assign your thumb drive to E or H (not sure how the algorithm works). But again, I don't know how much control IT needs or wants over the computer configurations.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online