1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't shutdown, hangs at desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sheepdog37, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sheepdog37

sheepdog37 Thread Starter

Hey. I just installed XP Pro on my Dell D620 after installing a new HDD. No problems with anything, nothing in event viewer. XP will not shutdown or restart. I choose shut down or restart, and the desktop icons disappear and the desktop background remains. I have let it go for upwards of 30 minutes with no change. I have ran the Dell diagnostic utility by holding Fn and power button. No error messages. I have also disabled the NVIDIA driver helper service to no avail. I was hoping that updating my BIOS from A07 to A10 would fix this, but installing A10 requires a restart.

Any ideas? Thank you.

2. jdean

jdean

3. sheepdog37

Thanks for that link. Unfortunately, I have seen that page already. I have Googled this problem several times, wording it differently each time. For most computer issues, that works. But not this time. This is a fresh install of XP on this HDD. I reinstalled it with no results. I have no USB/peripheral devices attached. I am not receiving any error messages. I cannot update the BIOS or perform a system recovery because it will not restart.

I am just plain stuck.

4. jdean

jdean

5. sheepdog37

Still nothing.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!