1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't start at all after attempted repair & repair won't complete/restart

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by inn5013orecl, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inn5013orecl

inn5013orecl Thread Starter

How it started: I had some problems with installing Rollup 2 for Windows XP MC edition 2005 and called Microsoft tech support. They told me to find my restore DVD from Dell and reinstall windows because the error is most likely caused by a missing/corrupt file. Then they proceeded to say they'll call me tomorrow at 11:30.

The Problem: I started the installation process. Everything is fine until it gets to the point where the screen is on installing. It gets stuck at precisely the point where it says "34 minutes left" in installation process. I note the process at the time is "installing devices". I wait about a little under 2 hours and no progress. Sometime at around +1 hour after it gets stuck at "34 minutes left", I get a pop-up to insert a "Creative...(something)" CD and push OK. I assume it's a file in the restoration DVD, but it's not after looking through it...and I simply hit cancel and it seems that installation proceeds, albeit still stuck at "34 minutes left" mark.

After waiting...annoyed at no progress, I hard-reset my comp and repeat the process about 3 more times...getting the same result: stuck at "34 minutes left" (I didn't wait 2 hours like the first time). Finally after the 3rd hard reset, I get a Windows XP installation screen that says "restarting installation process" (this happens everytime if I start boot-up from HD instead of CD like the first time)...then a black screen comes up (this is the new result). I see my mouse, but nothing else.

Please help me with this :p I fear the microsoft people will tell me to just reformat and I really want to avoid that because I have a midterm in a few days and important notes and programs I need to use for homework are on the comp.

P.S. : Everything I have relating to Windows XP Media Center OS is legit...and from Dell.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!