1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP wont start up. Doesnt detect my ext HDD either to boot my backup :( need help guys

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kel2, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kel2

kel2 Thread Starter

BAsically i started getting this message recently on my pc - "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

So i had a backup saved onto my ext hard drive but when i go to boot options it only detects my cd/dvd rom and the floppy disk..neither the internal hard drive or the external hard drive are detected.

any help appreciated guys!

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya kel2 and welcome to TSG.

Go into BIOS by pressing either F1, F2 or the DEL key (it should tell you on-screen just after you press the ON button). Make sure your CD/DVD and hard drive/s are showing and being read correctly and also make sure the boot order contains the system`s hard drive in at least second position, if not first. It`s worth checking the physical connections to the hard drive as well, especially if it`s just started happening.

Some motherboards don`t access the USB ports as a start-up option so not finding your external drive immediately isn`t so much of an issue although depending on the mobo itself, there might be an option to enable it.

Jenny

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!