1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp wont start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sammmm, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sammmm

sammmm Thread Starter

i have a dell pc with xp which,when turned on boots until logging in page.nothing happens when i clicck my name and then starts the same process again and again.i have tryed safe mode and last known good config with the same problem happening.greatful for any help,thanks

2. Lotus4669

Lotus4669

Well, the first thing I would suspect is a virus. I say this because I just repaired two PC's with diff virus' that did the same thing. Do you have any linux live CD's or a BartPE XP cd? They will allow you to boot up and scan your drives for virus'. Another option you can try is an in place repair of windows. Boot off your windows XP cd, the select Continue to Install Windows (Not the recover console) then you'll see another option to repair a windows installation. Do this option to do a in place re-installtion. All your programs etc should remain intact. See if that helps. Good luck.

3. sammmm

sammmm Thread Starter

going to do a repair install now,thank you for the reply

4. sammmm

sammmm Thread Starter

just completed a repair install and same thing is happening except that now it doesnt even get to the log in to your account page,just windows starting up page and goes around in a loop as before

5. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi..looks like a full reinstall is needed..
    If you need any help..post back to this thread..
    You could try..d/loading a regfix zip file onto a floppy..from a working pc..
    http://www.pchelpermonkeys.co.uk/resources/xpregfix.zip
    It contains intructions in pdf format for fixing the registry..
    Worth a try..maybe.

6. sammmm

sammmm Thread Starter

any help on how to do a full reinstall would be great thanks

7. jarchack

jarchack

A repair install will just leave whatever virus or spyware is causing the problem. I sounds like you don't have enough experience to use BartPE or Hiren's so just boot of the XP install CD, delete the existing XP partition and re-install.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice