1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP won't wake up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dmcclure, Nov 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmcclure

dmcclure Thread Starter

Periodially when I try to wake up my computer in the
    morning, nothing happens. I move the mouse, press the
    space bar, press the Windows key, all to no avail. The
    screen remains dark and blank. I have not enabled any
    kind of hibernation. It seems that when I do enable it I
    get a conflict with my modem card, at least that's what
    the error message tells me. Sometimes I can reawaken the
    machine by button pushing, but not that often. If I
    remember the key combination to closing down (Windows
    key/U/E ?) that will get me a clean shut down. Often as
    not, I just resort to turning it off with the power
    switch.

Is there some other way to get the darn thing to wake up??

Thanks,

Don

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I have a similar problem if I manually put the system in standby. It may be due to an incompatibility with USB mice and keyboards, supposedly corrected in Service Pack 1 for XP (which I haven't fully installed).

Don't let the system go into automatic standby. Go to the Power Options applet in the Control Panel and set everything to "Never". I haven't found it to affect the Monitor standby though, just the system.

3. dmcclure

dmcclure Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I have already set the standby option to Never. And as for SP1! I installed that and then my system had all sorts of problems, so I went to System Restore and went back to where I was. This problem existed before that however.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

5. thebigcheeser

thebigcheeser

Hi,

Your computer is probably just like a lady... You need to caress it and speak softly to it to wake it up... :)

6. AngryClip

AngryClip

lol @ thebigcheeser

ok i am not insutling any1 when i say is your monitor actully turned on?

7. dmcclure

dmcclure Thread Starter

Of course, that's a good question. Yes, the monitor is on and in standby mode. When I move the mouse, the monitor wakes up (at least the indicator light changes from orange to green) but the screen stays dark. Sometimes, after some frustrated button pushing (and a few choice words) it will come to life and all is well with the world again! The computer is not programmed to go to sleep, either through the BIOS settings or through the OS.

8. thebigcheeser

thebigcheeser

It has to be a female computer... As you say "you give it a few choice words".... Well thats the problem, no female I know of will give me the time of day if I said choice words to her either... LOL!

Im just poking fun, I do hope you find a solution... :)

9. kramnnim

kramnnim

I have a similar problem, sometimes when I try to resume from standyby my screen will not turn on. The PC will wake up, and I can hear Outook's "new messages" sound, but the screen stays dark. The two ways I have found to get around the problem don;t work very well, but if I move the mouse around alot while it's waking up, the screen usually will turn on. If it doesnt, if I make the PC go back into standby for a few moments (I have a "Sleep" shortcut on my keybard), it will wake back up properly.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/103602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice