1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Workgroup View does not show entire workgroup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by robmill, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robmill

robmill Thread Starter

SUbject: Windows XP View Workgroup does not show entire workgroup

Hello everyone,

I currently have what I hear is a very common problem, but no one seems to be able to give me a common answer.

First for my config.

I currently have 9 PCs running on my LAN (I am a full time telecommuter, and my wife is part time, as well as having a full time student at home)

Physical Config

4 PCs with WINXP Pro 2 Desktop 2 Laptops
    3 PCs with WIN2000 1 Desktop 1 Laptop
    2 PCs with WIN98se 1 Desktop 1 Laptop

3 Laptops connected via Wireless LAN
    5 Desktops connected via Wired LAN
    1 Broadband Router with HUB (Broadband Internet connection via Wireless Radio)
    1 HUB
    1 Wireless Access Point
    1 Wireless Print Server

(all configurable components are set to the same workgroup name)

Now for the problem:

On the WINXP Pro PCs only the XP and 2000 machines are displayed on the "View Workgroup" section of XP. On all the other machines, the entire workgroup is properly displayed, including the Wireless Print Server. Problem is present wether I am running my VPN client or not. Now for the weird part. Sometimes but not all the time, I will see one of the 98 machines or 2 or what ever)

I have been told this is a security feature of XP interacting with the network and can sometimes be corrected via the shutdown and or restart of the internal firewall (depending if its running or not)

Can anyone suggest a fix for this problem. Also, is there a replacement for the veiw workgroup that works all the time.

Thanks for any help

Robert

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

One method that I've used to solve browsing issues on networks is install NETBEUI on all the machines. Check in the VALUEADD directory on the XP CD for the installation files. Another method if that still fails is to put all the machines into the LMHOSTS file of the machine(s) that don't get a complete list. This is somewhat of a kludge, but it solves the problem with fixed names.

I think the root of the problem is that W2K/XP is really designed to be used with DNS, and workgroup browsing is always somewhat dicey in that configuration.

3. Rockn

Rockn

VPN's also do not always allow for NetBIOS names to function over those types of connections. John's suggestion is a good place to start as well as checking the VPN configuration settings.

4. robmill

robmill Thread Starter

Thanks for the help,

The NetBui suggestion appears not to have worked. Next step will be the the LMHOSTS suggestion.

VPN does not matter, at least on WIN 2000 or 98se machines, never had this problem until I moved to XP Pro.

Robert

5. Rockn

Rockn

There have been issues with lots of VPN clients when users have switched to XP. If there is a client piece of software for the VPN check to see if there is a newer version. XP is a pain in the @ss and I am hating it more by the day. I'll stick with Win2K

6. robmill

robmill Thread Starter

Have the latest and greatest version of the Client, its also difficult to play with and still have it work. ALso considering switching back to 2000 just like the interface better on XP.

Robert

7. tswaney

tswaney

I have a similar problem. I am using Win XP Pro also. The server and clients at the remote VPN site are using NetBUI to communicate. I can connect as a VPN client to the network but cannot see the server or any other computers on the network in Network Neighborhood (I have even done a search without any success also). I have other folks in my office that connect to this network through VPN and it works fine although they have Win 2000 and the the NetBUI protocol installed in their VPN connection. I do not have the option of installing this protocol in my VPN connection although I have it installed for my local Lan connection. This seems to be the only two differences. Does any one have any ideas about how to install the NetBUI protocol for this VPN connection?

8. pradhan

pradhan

I have the same problem. I can access the nodes of the network but not the network itself. I am running just 2 systems...XP Pro and XP Home. The network itself is never accessible but I can access the computers themselves by simply using any explorer line to type in \\computer1 or \\computer

I am going to throw this into a different string just to see if anyone knows why...
    Pradhan

9. tswaney

tswaney

I have seen that happen on many occassions. I have also seen the computers and network show up after being connected for a little while. It appears that the other network that you are connecting to takes a little while to show up on your computer. If you have a different workgroup name for the computer you are connecting with that could be part of the problem. I haven't ever tried to find the answer due to what you are saying about just doing a search for the computer and it would appear.

Thanks,

Thomas Swaney

10. pradhan

pradhan

Interestingly, in one of the other threads, it is suggested to load NetBUI up, but I find I have more success using a single protocol everywhere. I think that it is possible that when one of the nodes go on stand-by, or maybe even screen-saver, that the network becomes inaccessible...maybe.

Pradhan

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!