1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by GUSMAN, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

I just wondered if it is actually possible to boot off a windows xp disk. I have tried it before with no joy. I thought they were just upgrades. I usually end up booting with a win 98 disk installing it, then putting xp on .
    I assign the drive, type in cd\tools\sysrec and pcrestor but it never finds it, with win 98 disk in, no prob

Cheers

Gus

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

You will have to change bios settings to use the cd drive as first boot device.

gerry

3. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

Hiya
    Yeah I know that but the pc cant recognise the xp disk, but will recognise the windows 98 disk straight away. Is there actually a boot record on an xp disk??

Cheers

Gus

4. gsmitheman

gsmitheman

If the XP Upgrade disk is good and you are booting from the cd drive that it is in, it should give you the "Press any key message" within a few seconds. If you do press any key in time you will be off to the races.

I would recommend a clean install to avoid having to deal with hangover problems from your old OS.

5. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

Cheers Buddy

Gus

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice