1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP2400 proccessor in gigabyte GA-7VT600 - dip switch settings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alastairh, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alastairh

alastairh Thread Starter

just installing a new mother board with a XP2400 proccesor. Can do everthing but have no idea about the dip switch settings. at the moment its set to default or automatic. I cannot for the life of me understand the charts given in the gigabyte manual. can someone explain to me what the dip switch does and how I am to use and set these?
    Cheers
    Alastair

2. cnimbus

cnimbus Banned

Looking at the Thermal and Electrical Specifications document from AMD shows that the Athlon XP 2400+ has a an actual clock speed of 2000 MHz (2 GHz). The effective front-side bus (external) clock speed is 266 MHz, but the actual front-side bus speed is 133 MHz. As can be seen from the table in the CPU specs, the 2400+ has a multiplier of 15x. So the external clock is multiplied by 15 to get 1995 MHz (approx 2 GHz).

On page 10 of the GA-7VT600 manual, the setting for SW1 (CPU CLOCK) is referring to the front-side bus clock speed. If the CPU front-side bus clock speed is 200 MHz effective (100 MHz actual), the switch should be set to on. Otherwise (as is the case with your 2400+) SW1 should be set to off (auto).

If you have the GA-7VT600 1394, additional switch settings are shown on page 10 of the manual. The table with CLK_RATIO (for the CK_RATIO switches) simply refers to the clock multiplier of 15x. When SW1 is set to off, the settings of the CK_RATIO switches are ignored and have no effect.

Note that the motherboard BIOS setup utility shows actual clock speeds, not the effective ones.

3. alastairh

alastairh Thread Starter

Wow, fantastic, awesome, thats much appreciated, i have spent a good couple of hours on the AMD website trying to find this information. Thanks you very much for your time and energy taken to help me clarify the information here.
    This site continues to be an incredible resourse each time i've used it.
    thanks again
    Alastair

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice