XPS 420 power upgrade

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mamothcar

I have a Dell XPS 420 with the stock 375w power supply - It's Dells house brand I think?

I would like to put in a 650w or 750w but someone wrote somewhere that the Dell motherboard for this can only use Dell PSU 375w and no more than 425w???

Some guy on youtube said he has a 650w lsp ultra in his and it works fine!

What's the story guys can I fry the motherboard on this thing or is it Dell sales fiction?

dustyjay

Jay
At one time Dell used propriatary power supplies, and the motherboards were designed to use these power supplies, you could not use another brand without some rewiring of the connector. Dell no longer uses propriatary power supplies. The only limit that I can think of is a possible case size problem.

I dont think with modern dell systems, anything shud stop u getting a new psu, a good one won't overload your board or anything :eek: go for it :D

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Here is the on-line owner's manual for the Dell XPS 420 desktop.

Here is the section on replacing a power supply unit. All the technical specs are for 375 watt and 425 watt models. I didn't see any comments about being able to upgrade to a higher wattage model.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online