1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP's IE status bar disappearing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Puritan, Nov 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Puritan

Puritan Thread Starter

I dislike XP's default cartoony theme, so I switched my UI theme back to classic mode. But in classic mode, using IE 6.0, often times when I have IE windows open and either open a new window or follow a link in a new window, the new window appears with no status bar (the original window retains its status bar). This automatic turning off of IE's status bar is very annoying; I have to constantly manually turn it back on after I open new windows. I don't think this is a problem in the XP theme (at least, I've never seen it while running my Guest account, which uses the XP theme), but it happens all the time in my Classic theme. Microsoft's knowledge base doesn't seem to address this at all (maybe because no one finds this problem in the default XP theme?). Does anyone know how to fix this so that all of my new IE windows always have status bars?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forget the mention of the classic theme, I just switched to the XP theme to test this out (I guess I should hvae done that before I posted the message, huh :eek:) and the disappearing status bar is still a problem there too.

2. tomsxp

tomsxp

Puritan< Try going up to and clicking on VIEW (at top) next to EDIT and a drop down menu will come down then just make sure the STATUS BAR has a CHECK MARK next to it and that should do it. TOM

3. Puritan

Puritan Thread Starter

Yeah, it has a check, my IE windows normally have status bars. It's only when I open up new windows that they often open up without status bars; the new windows uncheck the status bar option by themselves. I manually recheck the status bar options to turn them back on, but it's annoying how new windows don't remember their original settings and turn the status bar off.

4. tomsxp

tomsxp

Let me think about this for awhile and check some things out and i will get back to you!

5. BML

BML

I get the same thing. i go to <view>....<toolbars> and click on <status bar>. But it goes away at times.

It really bothered me when I'd look in Windows Explorer and cant see the status at bottom which shows the size of the current folder or drive.

I wonder why MS dislikes the status bar so much? what do they have against it?

6. tomsxp

tomsxp

This is from MS, see if pertains to you guys,>>If you are using Internet Explorer 5.0, you may have a system resources problem. Here is the MS knowledgebase article on the topic and a link to a patch:

SYMPTOMS
    After using Internet Explorer for a while, one of the following symptoms may occur:

The menu bar may disappear.

System resources may become very low.

CAUSE
    This problem can occur because of a resource leak in Internet Explorer.

RESOLUTION
    A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem described in this article and should be applied only to systems experiencing this specific problem. This fix may receive additional testing at a later time, to further ensure product quality. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next that contains this fix.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, please go to the following address on the World Wide Web:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/overview.asp

7. Puritan

Puritan Thread Starter

I don't think that's the problem, I'm using 6.0 and it's the status bar that disappears, not the menu bar. There's no system leak, since the status bars in the new windows can easily be turned back on; I think it's just a failure of IE to remember to keep that setting on for new windows.

8. angel

angel

I agree. And I also have the problem. If I run across anything, I'll let you know. Please let me know if you find something too.

9. tomsxp

tomsxp

Ok Guys, maybe between us we can find out what the heck this is! Will be back soon

10. tomsxp

tomsxp

Hi Guys, If you are sure it isn't a virus, my best guess would be that something is preventing your registry from being updated, or IE is not even attempting to edit the registry. I suspect the latter. You might try uninstalling and reinstalling IE 6 from the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS option in CONTROL PANEL.

11. tomsxp

tomsxp

If any of you are using XP, Then this cannot be done because it is preinstalled But there is a way out of that too, let me know how the reinstall goes?

12. angel

angel

I don't think there's really any 'problem' here - I just think Microsoft screwed up. I am using XP w/IE6. If I open a window from the executable or any kind of a shortcut to IE, it's fine. This only occurs when choosing File>New Window from within the browser.
    There is a registry entry that controls whether to show the status bar but looks like that is not used when opening a new windows from within an already open one.

13. tomsxp

tomsxp

Angel. Sounds like it could be a damaged, Do you have HP SUPPORT? You may have to do a NON-DESRUCTIVE SYSTEM RECOVERY! Let me look a little further into this and get back to you! I am really curious as to HOW AND WHY things happen and especially HOW to CORRECT IT, Have to go out for awhile but will be back later! If you find out anything meanwhile (from HP) let me know, I will be in touch,

14. angel

angel

Not sure why I would contact HP - would never purchase one.

I really don't think there's anything damanged - at least in my system. I checked around and looks like others are having the same problem. So, I guess here's a question... Is there anyone using Windows XP w/IE6 that doesn't have this problem? Meaning you open a window and then click File>New Window and the status bar is there by default on the New Window?

15. tomsxp

tomsxp

Actually it is not under FILE, it should be under VIEW (drop down) Menu and it should have a check mark beside it! But i asked you guys before and you told me it was there but it was unchecking itself? Is this correct? Also I have windowsXP and have NO Problem, so far with it! I am sorry about that HP business, i kept thinking you have an HP Computer but i guess you don't!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice