1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XPS ONE won't work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by souldemon14, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. souldemon14

souldemon14 Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm running a Dell XPS One and I was using it earlier today. After I turned it off, I went to play a game for a while. Later, I unplugged the computer and moved it into my living room. When I turned it on, it showed a black screen. All the fans and everything turned on, but not the screen. The standby button on the bottom right was glowing blue. After a few seconds, the computer shut off, then turned back on again showing the same thing. I couldn't do anything to the computer, absolutely nothing would work. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, but that didn't help as it did the same thing. What should I do?

2. norton850

norton850

Hopefully, something just got loose during move. What is your comfort level working on the computer?

3. souldemon14

What do you mean by comfort level? How well it works when running?

4. norton850

norton850

Sorry for the confusion. I meant are you comfortable taking the cover off the computer and working on it.

5. souldemon14

I would be comfortable doing it.

6. norton850

norton850

Of course with the XPS One things are a little different than working on a desktop. And I suppose somewhat less likely to become loose. Still it is worth a try. I think there are two screws that need to come out to remove the cover. They are at the bottom of the case. The RAM is off to the side and held in by clips. Make sure it is secure. I think there is also a separate video card. So make sure it is also secure.

As always the unit should be unplugged and make sure you are in contact with the case as you are working on it. As I said it is different than taking a cover off a desktop so be sure that you want to tackle the job.

One other thing before you start At this point is it completely dead or are the fans still coming on? If so is it continuing to shut off on its own. Loose RAM or video card won't do this.

7. souldemon14

The comp is coming on, and the fans run. Everything starts up, even the media buttons which aren't even supposed to work until after boot. It just has a black screen with the stand by button shining. See the computer turns off only once and then comes back on, then stays on. It only turns off like that after the plug has been removed and placed back in. If you can tell me, what might the video card look like?

8. norton850

norton850

You may or may not have one. The video card was an upgrade apparently.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice