1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XPS Wont even boot to bios screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Drakonice, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Drakonice

Drakonice Thread Starter

I have a dell XPS (one of the first versions from the early 2000's) running XP Pro . It has crashed alot recently and I was advised that it was probably a RAM issue. I ran 2 different RAM diagnostics (one Downloaded from microsoft one on the Dell Diag disk). Neither found a problem. I have had corrupted files and the windows repair wouldnt fix so I have had to do clean installs of windows.

Now the computer eont even load the Dell boot screen. All I get is the lights (three lights in middle above keyboard) come on the one with a letter A (I believe its a capslock light) flashes 5 times and then it shuts off. Never boots to even the Dell Bios screen.

Anyone know whats wrong?

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Are you getting any grinding or clicking noise from your hard drive?

3. Striker840

Striker840

It also may be a MB/Processor issue. If it wont even post it is more than likely a processor that has fried. Hate to say that, but I have seen it more times than I care to remember, including my own with a wife that was looking at me with that "well pc genius, fix it" look:eek:

4. eccwoes

eccwoes

can you get into bios if you disconnect the hard drive and all pci cards except the graphics card?

5. Drakonice

Drakonice Thread Starter

Well I'll answer all questions .

Grinding or clicking noise....I get no noise at all . I wish it was just my HD 80 bux and 5 minute replace but bios screen dosent load so that isn't a Hard drive issue right?

Fried processer :( First question How would i test to see if this is the case? And if so can they be replaced on An XPS Laptop?Its a Pent 4 gonna be expensive huh?

Disconnect everything.....Its a laptop so that is a little more complicated have to dismember entier case to get everything off. What were you thinking might be wrong to try this?

Thank you for all the fast responses by the way.

6. eccwoes

eccwoes

From what I remember and I might be wrong here but I think one time I had a faulty hard drive which actually prevented the bios even POSTing. Certainly I've had bad memory which prevented the system POSTing, so the best way to be sure would be to disconnect drives internally and try taking memory sticks out one at a time if there are two or more to isolate components. I appreciate that this is more complicated in a laptop, and I've never had a laptop myself so haven't opened one up. I suppose it's worth a try though if it helps you isolate the problem.

7. Drakonice

Drakonice Thread Starter

Ok did this. Guess what It must be a RAM stick. Removed HD same prob. Removed RAM stick and it booted and loaded windows. Now does this mean the RAM is bad or where it plugs in is bad? I used 2 different RAM Diagnostics both came up fine b4 thank you by the way this was great advice.

8. eccwoes

eccwoes

I'm afraid that's the limit of my experience. You could try making sure the slots haven't got dust in them etc but I would have thought that it was more likely for ram itself to be bad.

9. Drakonice

Drakonice Thread Starter

well i am getting errors when trying toload some software im afraid more is wrong....least i got comp on just cant installsome software or WoW :(

10. Striker840

Striker840

Obviously you have onboard ram that is actually integrated into the mb, my toshiba is the same way which is why it was able to boot.

The ram test you ran tested the onboard ram, but, how did you test the additional ram?

11. Drakonice

Drakonice Thread Starter

I guess i wasn't very clear. I have 2 mem sticks 512 each. I removed one and it booted fine. But i just putit backin and it booted fine also. Im confused (easy to do). So obviously there is another issue somewhere. I get errors saying things like file did not copy to disk hardware error data lost when im tring tocopy stuff from a disk to the HD. Im trying to install a game and it stops installing and i get errors. I ran a chck disk the other day it took over 10 hours to finish is this normal with xp pro?

and there were like over 100 errors that said "Bad sector in file blah blah blah replaced"

And I guess to answer the earlier question as to grinding or clicking noises i guess it does cause im on my aspire and it makes no nooise and the other one i can hear from across the roomnever really noticed it b4.

12. pcrepairguy

pcrepairguy

Just becuase it boots with the RAM in it does not mean the RAM is OK. Try installing windows with one stick at a time. File copy errors are usually leaking RAM issues....

13. Drakonice

Drakonice Thread Starter

I get the file copy errors no matter what RAM stick is in :(

14. pcrepairguy

pcrepairguy

Perhaps both sticks are not good but unlikely. Try restting the BIOS to default settings and make a new copy of your cd.

15. Drakonice

Drakonice Thread Starter

Problem solved.....I think. Well the problem always showed up while i was installing a certain game that did work on my other computers. I hooked up my exterior HD and installed right to it. Worked just fine so more than likely it is the internall HD. Thanks for the help and advice.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/638324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice