1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xw4400 HP workstation Wrong DIMMs

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Limon, Feb 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Limon

Limon Thread Starter

Hello.

I decided to upgrade from 6 GB to 8 GB, and ordered new DIMMs.

When they arrived, I felt uncomfortable and contacted suppliers. Told me they were fine.

I removed the DIMMs, ECC, from my working computer, and installed the new ones. Switched on, but amber light flashes at fixed intervals.

I reinstalled my original DIMMS, Amber flashes at intervals, so computer not starting now.

My ECC DIMMs have nine chips, but the ones supplied to me have eight chips, so I realise they are non-ECC.

Please advise if there is any way I can resolve this.

Thank you.

2. lynx1021

lynx1021

Looking at the specs HP says "Up to 8GB of DDR2-SDRAM 667 MHz ECC unbuffered (8GB max) or non-ECC (2GB max) in 4 DIMM slots" So that means to me you can put a 2GB stick ECC in each slot for a maximum of 8GB or 4-512mb regular DDR2 in each slot for a maximum of 2GB max. Your original memory , was it 1 pair 1GB each and the other 2GB each? ECC memory has to be run in pairs so did you match them up again? Please consult your manual.

3. Limon

Limon Thread Starter

I left the computer for a few hours. I turned it on again. Working fine. No flashing amber light.
    Thank you.

I understand that 2 x 4GB works better than 4 x 2GB. Less So I am looking to get those.

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

I believe the largest stick according to HP that you can put in each slot is 2GB of ECC type, You might search google and see if anyone had any luck with bigger sticks. Look on the crucial memory site and see what they show.

5. Limon

Limon Thread Starter

Ok. These are what are in the PC:

2x 1GB: 2RX8 PC2-5300E-555-12-G0 (HP)
    DDR2 667-CL5.ECC

2x 2GB: 240PIN 256 Mx72 DDR2 PC2-6 (Crucial)

Total of 6GB.

I can keep the 2x 2GB and replace the 2x 1GB with 2x 2GB.

Please advise what I can get so they are compatible with the rest.

Thank you.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice