1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Y-Connector?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jelleym, Jun 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

Does anyone know what a Y-Connector looks like? (i.e. the kind which allows you to hook up 2 computer monitors to one CPU.

For example, say there's a 3 ft. or 6 ft. Y-connector - does the split begin after 1 1/2 ft. / 3 ft. (respectively)?

I couldn't find any online diagram of same.

Thanks.

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

I've moved your post to the Hardware forum, I think you will get better response here.

Try this site: http://www.kvmchoice.com

3. winbob

winbob

Jelleym,

Take a look at this splitter cable:

http://www.outpost.com/product/483058?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Obviously the ends are sooooo short that you could never connect directly to either monitor.

So the secret is.....you use a "patch cable" of the appropriate length to go from the splitter to the monitor. Any length you need...within reason. Length equals signal loss!

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Note that you'll obviously have the same data on both displays, and the quality may suffer. If you want dual displays to give you a larger desktop, you need a graphics card with two outputs.

5. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

Uh, I still don't understand - unless I can see a clear diagram of exactly how components get connected to each other.

I don't understand about patch cables or anything unless I see a diagram of how all the interconnections work.

BTW, the reason I'm interested, is because I'm considering buying a fluresent-free black & white LCD (using gel technology vs. phosphors) - due to computer fluresence health issues.

Occasionally, though, I'd want to see a color display - for example, when shopping.

6. JohnWill

Are there really significant health issues with color LCD technology? I'd suspect there are a lot more dangerous items around your house. :)

7. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

John, yes (I sent you a PM to keep on-topic)
    & if anyone can help me re: my Q, t'would be much appreciated.

8. JohnWill

Look for a video repeater, it just buffers multiple monitors for distribution.

9. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

10. JohnWill

11. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

Thanks John!

12. JohnWill

That's just one of many, I'm sure there are lots of others. They used to be quite popular on Wall St. to distribute the display from one PC to a number of desks.

13. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

Thanks again. BTW, John, anyone, do you know what "transparent OSD" means?
    It's not idefined in webopedia or anywhere. (it's a joke - maybe 50% of the time, I fail to find the definitions I need in online technical/computer dictionaries.

Basically, my Q is whether it's referring to "transparent on-screen display"

If so, does transparent OSD displays have fluorescent backlighting?

14. JohnWill

Transparent On Screen Display I would imagine. That's the display of modes and the like when you're setting up the monitor, in normal operation it's not present.

15. jelleym

jelleym Thread Starter

So... transparent OSD has nothing to do with flurescense or lack of same?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/375716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice