1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

y r comps so weird i dont undrstand

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ae3 Boomer, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ae3 Boomer

Ae3 Boomer Thread Starter

ok so here iss tthe deal i have a laptop its specs are:
    old (2yr) install of xp
    cpu: single pentium iii 650mhz
    ram: 192mb
    hdd: 4gb 5400rpm ide
    gfx crd: ati RAGE! mobility 64mb

and a Desktop:
    clean install xp
    cpu: DUAL Pent iii 650mhz
    ram: 256mb
    hdd: 30gb 7200rpm ide
    gfx crd: geforce 5200 128mb

now my question is why is/does the LAPTOP WORK BETTER? it is driving me nuts,for some reason. i fall asleep at night thiiking of reasons of y the laptop works beter, i just dont under stand it.

2. RevisionZero

RevisionZero

Not going to get to much into this, but.. simple answer most likely bloatware. A ton of clutter on one that is not present on the other.

3. Ae3 Boomer

but the clutterd lappy works tthan Clean install desktop... could the bloatware be maaking the lappy faster, is that wat ur sayin?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You're trying to compare two different computers with separate configurations and apps installed. I'm sure there's a lot more that's different than alike between the two.

Things that could affect performance:
    Services running
    Programs running
    Hardware architecture (chipset, processor, graphics adapter)
    RAM type
    Hard drive speed
    Disk utilization & fragmentation

5. Ae3 Boomer

the HDD speed was in the description the desktop memory speed is faster latency than laptop (ive checked)
    and the lapttop has 1 650mhz while the desktop has 2 aalso the desktop has a clean install of xp

6. Arcadion

Arcadion

Do you have all the drivers installed for the desktop? One thing that will slow down a clean install of XP is missing the video drivers, even though you get a full colour display it will be super-slow to drag windows around the screen if the proper drivers haven't been installed yet. You can get the GeForce FX5200 drivers here: http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/93.71/93.71_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql.exe

The laptop doesn't need the video drivers as it's so old, Windows has them built in.

7. Ae3 Boomer

the 5200 wuz already innstalled but i did install the driver update from nvidia

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice