1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Yahoo 404 Handler fix/removal

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by renegadia, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. renegadia

renegadia Thread Starter

Nov 27, 2007
    Heya All, apologies if it's in the wrong topic.

After installing Yahoo Msgr 11.5 to catch up with long lost family and then uninstalling it (as the typical install lazy option came with Yahoo Toolbar) and then re-installing a custom, msgr only install, everything seemed well. Then everytime I open a broken weblink I'll get the Yahoo search page up with search terms similar to the broken link. After Googling, it's a Yahoo 404 handler?

I was wondering how to go about removing it, and all trace of Yahoo bar Msgr. I was under the impression I'd clean uninstalled but that obviously isnt the case. Having looked in Firefox's help, apparently I can uninstall the Toolbar and it will go away. However I had uninstalled and don't have anything Yahoo in the Addons tab.

I guess I could system restore to before the first install and try again, but then I'd want to know the best way to install msgr without all the sneaky bits.

Anyway, I appreciate any advice for this and I look forward to your replies. Not sure if it's any relevance but below is the TSG thing!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 4086 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4830 Series, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 293127 MB, Free - 218362 MB; D: Total - 11812 MB, Free - 2000 MB; E: Total - 99 MB, Free - 95 MB;
    Motherboard: Quanta, 7009
    Antivirus: ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5.0, Updated and Enabled
  2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Mar 9, 2009
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1068475