yahoo and msn messengers won't work

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gntlmnjim

I had my pc turned off for a week while on vacation. Now my yahoo and msn messenger programs will not connect. I can click to sign in but they still won't connect. A couple of times, I rebooted and yahoo messenger would connect and I even used the launch cast for a few seconds and it disconnected again. Please help.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
How do you normally connect to the internet? Dial up? Cable?

Do you get any error messages?

gntlmnjim

Sorry I was not very specific. I have cable internet. I have thought more about this too. We had a power outage just before I shut it down for the week. Also I have uninstalled Yahoo messenger and reinstalled it. It will come up now but I can't get my launch cast. Also my internet explore will not access any pages on the net. Netscape works ok though. I have uninstalled MSN messenger and tried to install it again but it takes me to a page on the net...through internet explore which tells me it can't display that page.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
What specific errors do you get when using Internet Explorer?
Is this Internet Explorer 6?

And what happens when you try to use LaunchCast?

gntlmnjim

no error number...just that it can't display that page...or any other page for that matter. I have copied and pasted the whole message below...

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online