1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Yahoo companion pop up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by laurfar, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Hi,
    I do not want to download the "update to Yahoo companion" but it pops up every time I open my Internet Explorer to the Yahoo browser. Does anyone know how to get rid of this, other than clicking "yes" and having to get the update (that I do not want). I feel like I'm being harrassed by Yahoo, or maybe I feel like I'm being stalked! Help me get rid of this pop up. Do I have to give up Yahoo as my browser? Would like to keep it. Thanks

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

With Internet Explorer (IE) open, click the View menu; Point to Toolbars; Point to and click the offensive Yahoo feature to untick Yahoo; close then restart IE. Did this affect the change you desire?

3. lastone

lastone

I'd suggest going to add/remove and deleting Yahoo Companion Toolbar, as it can be downloaded separately it should be able to be deleted (un-installed) separately.
    Oops, you don't have it installed yet. But take a look...see if there are any Yahoo extras, other then what you know that you need.
    Yahoo browser, huh? do you mean Yahoo home page?
    And...are you using a Yahoo messenger? could something in its setting be the cause?

4. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

No luck with that. When I click on Toolbars I get this list:
    Standard buttons
    Address bar
    Links
    Google
    Lock the tool bars
    Customize
    The reason Google is on there is because I downloaded onto my Yahoo browser because I like the pop up stopper. There is nothing in that list that says Yahoo, maybe because it is on my Yahoo browser. But how can I get that popup that asks me if I want to add the Yahoo companion to what I already have. Someone else must be getting it too, and hating it.

5. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

You are correct, it must be Yahoo home page. Not using Yahoo messenger, but will look in the add/remove list to see what's there. Thanks for your thoughts. It is just an anoying way to get me to click it and add something I don't want. Trying to keep things simple and not add junk I have no interest in using.

6. lastone

lastone

Yahoo: (supposedly)
    tel 408.731.3333
    fax 408.731.3301

I would recommend standard issue IE and the Google toolbar w/pop-up blocker.

7. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

What is standard issue IE??? and I do have the Google toolbar w/pop up blocker.

8. lastone

lastone

IE browser, not a Yahoo related browser. I'm only going by what you called it.
    I believe that you mean to say that Yahoo is your homepage. But I could be wrong.
    have a nice day.

9. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Oh, I see. Yes Yahoo is being used as my home page. I guess this is the end of this problem if I switch to a different home page. I thought someone might be able to get this pop up switched off, but I guess not. Thanks for you time on this.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice