Yahoo companion

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bus Driver

A box keeps popping up about an update to Yahoo Companion and do I want to download the update, yes or no. I have no idea what Yahoo Companion is, although I do see it on the screen. As far as I know, I have no need for anything Yahoo has to offer and just want them to stay out of my life. Does my attitude need changing. If so, why? If not, how do I get Yahoo to bug off?

Hi bus driver,do you have a pencil on the toolbar?if you do click on it and it should give you the option to uninstall.I just read where if you download Barnes and noble,they give you this yahoo companion.It might have some spyware componnets that are bundled with it as well,so it might be a good idea to post your startup programs back here so we can have a look.Go to Start>Run>type in Msinfo32,click ok,click on the + sign next to software environment>click on startup programs,click edit,select all,click edit,copy and paste the page back here

Bus Driver

All your instructions worked fine till I tried to paste. Paste command is "not dark" and does not respond. Thanks for the help. Please be more specific about the paste command. MSINFO does not have a paste command that I can find and this page is the one with the inoperative paste command. All of a sudden it worked, but I do not know why. Microtek Scanner Finder Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\Twain_32\ScanWiz5\SDII.exe
Printkey2000 Startup Group "C:\Program Files\PrintKey2000\Printkey2000.exe"
AdSubtract Startup Group "C:\Program Files\AdSubtract\adsub.exe"
ZoneAlarm Common Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe" -nopopup
run Win.ini hpfsched
Taskbar Display Controls Registry (Per-User Run) RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
Reminder Registry (Per-User Run) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\reminder.exe
ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe
SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
AtiCwd32 Registry (Machine Run) Aticwd32.exe
AtiKey Registry (Machine Run) Atitask.exe
HPScanPatch Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPScanFix.exe
EAPCISetup Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\SYSTEM\wizard.exe c:\windows\SYSTEM
hpsysdrv Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
Keyboard Manager Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
Adaptec DirectCD Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\CD-WRI~1\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
RealTray Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\realplay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
StillImageMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
AVG_CC Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
EncMonitor Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Encompass\Monitor.exe
TrueVector Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
MiniLog Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\MINILOG.EXE -service
Avgserv9.exe Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\Avgserv9.exe

Ok,theres no spyware showing up at startup,so thats good.You do have some programs starting that you dont need at startup.Heres a good site to go to,which will tell you what these programs are and if you need them at startup.

http://www.Rselby.com/Windows.html

When you go to this site just scrool down to Msconfig,look for startup programs,there will be a list there that will explain what you need and dont need.Once you have the list of the programs your going to stop running at startup you will have to go to msconfig to uncheck them.You get there by going to Start>Run>type in Msconfig>when that window opens,click on startup tab,then you just take out the check marks,click apply,then ok,and the computer will want to re-boot let it.

Did you have the pencil in the taskbar for yahoo companion?If not look in your add and remove programs in the control panel and see if yahoo is installed.

Let us know how you make out

Bus Driver

Yes. I removed the Yahoo from the taskbar per your original instructions. Thanks for the help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online