1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Yahoo Email Access Denied

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by birdwings, Jun 6, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. birdwings

birdwings Thread Starter

I can't access my Yahoo email (which I have had for several years). I couldn't verify it was mine because there wasn't a phone number attached to it for verification. I opened a new Yahoo account so that I could have email until the situation was solved. I attached a phone number for this new account, thinking that Yahoo could send verification for the old account as well. (You need to know that this phone is an old cell and not a new smart phone). Yahoo hasn't combined my two Yahoo accounts, and doesn't show the old account. Each try to verify my old account (they sent verification messages to my phone number) couldn't be accessed for my old email account because I couldn't open the old account. A sort of Catch 22 situation. My password to get into the old account was "scrubbed, or deleted" when trying to create a new password. (The old password was from 2017!) I'm at a loss to figure out how to get in to my old account. All of my contacts are important; email messages, etc. What to do?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi birdwings, and welcome to TSG.

What do you mean that your old password was scrubbed or deleted? I have not heard of Yahoo ever deleting a password due to failed login attempts. Did you have it saved in a web browser and the browser changed it when you attempted to use a different password? If this is the case do you use a different web browser with saved passwords to also access the Yahoo account? Unless you are using some kind of shared cloud storage of passwords, that browser should still have the original valid password.

In order to combine two Yahoo accounts, you need to have access to both accounts. To add your old account while logged into the new account Yahoo will send an email to the old account with a confirmation link that has to be clicked to complete the combining process. If you cannot access the old account you cannot combine it with the new account.

Yahoo offers two methods of regaining access to an account if you do not know the current password. You can specify a recovery phone number and/or one or more recovery alternate email addresses. If you have trouble logging in, you can use the Yahoo recovery helper to send a recovery key to any of the previously set up phone number (does not have to be a smartphone) or address. If you never set them up or kept them up to date, you have little or no chance of recovering access to that account.

The last time I checked, Yahoo does not have a support telephone number or support chat service. Beware of any websites listing a phone number or link to Yahoo support. They are most likely scams to get your money or have you load malware that will steal data off your computer.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I've had my yahoo account since 1999. You do not need a phone number to verify who you are. I have two recovery email addresses.
    Did you add a recovery email address and was it up to date? If so, you should be able to recover the original account with information sent to your recovery email address.

From time to time, Yahoo asks me to add a phone number, which I decline and shows me my recovery email addresses so I can make changes there.

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

I had an issue with ATT/yahoo email a month ago, normally Firefox remembers the log in for yahoo but ATT switched to an ATT email login page. Firefox put the login in but ATT kept saying it was wrong. I finally got it to take by entering it in manually (email and password). I don't have ATT anymore but I still have the ATT email address for yahoo. After logging in it went back to normal.
    birdwings, you can look in your browser for saved passwords. Search google on how to do it.
    I also have an old Hotmail address for Recovery, they aren't going to get my cell #
    I have also had issues with Yahoo POP3 mail on my wife's email not working half the time.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice