1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Yahoo email bulk email

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by GolferBill, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GolferBill

GolferBill Thread Starter

Does anyone use Yahoo email? A few weeks ago, I got a notice that said that a new service would be put into effect... a Bulk Mail folder... to catch spam. And that Yahoo filters would automatically divert known spam to this folder. It's never worked. It does not divert spam to it; they come into my Inbox. I contacted them multiple times via their web form contact form. Finally, got a canned reply. It still does not work. Does anyone use their service and the bulk mail folder... does yours work or not? Did you have to do anything to make it work? Does anyone know how to contact a real person there? I either have to get this solved or give it up; I'm gettting 100 spams per day.

2. jjb

jjb

I use a yahoo address as a secondary e address.I have never had a problem with spam or the bulk folder not working.Actually on occaision it is just the opposite-legit mail gets sent to the bulk folder.
    Apparently your address was compromised somehow and is now on multiple lists.If you want to take the time to look at them all. a lot of times it will say you can unsubscribe by sending a reply.
    Another option if you are using their free service just sign up for a new account with a new address.I know this is also a pain but you would be starting out fresh and junk mail free.
    Good luck.

3. GolferBill

GolferBill Thread Starter

Thanks for replying but the point is, the folder has never worked. It is supposed to automatically divert email there. It has never diverted ANYthing. Period. Nothing. I assume I do not have to set up the filters... they said it AUTOMATICALLY diverts spam there... as if THEY have filters that they use to recognize spam. The friggin' company should be easier to contact. Frustrating.

4. Drone

Drone

I have a yahoo address, also as a secondary address. When they started the bulk mail folder it caught some spam and missed others. The ratio for me is about 50/50. This doesn't bother me because this is one of the reasons I signed up for a yahoo address.

As for JJB's comment about your address being compromised, I don't believe that is the case. The very day I signed up for the address, before I even gave it out to anyone, I started getting spam. None of it is ever addressed to me!!! Does anyone know why I get email "sent" to addresses that aren't even 50% similar to mine? I'm thinking that the headers are faked to claim incorrect delivery.

Drone

5. Czech

Czech

I agree about Yahoo! services being hard to contact and to receive an answer. Last week I e-mailed them and I still have not received a reply.

As for the Spam Filters mine has worked and wish I knew the answer to help with yours.

6. Signature

Signature

<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">Yahoo! uses an automated filtering system called Spamguard™.
    As far as I understand it, all they've done is set a number that determines whether unsolicited commercial email should go to your Bulk Mail Folder, or your Inbox, regardless of content.

If, for instance, a company sends advertisements to a certain amount of Yahoo! recipients at once, the advertisements go to everyone's Bulk Mail Folder, only if the number of advertisements exceeds the Spamguard™ number set by Yahoo!
    The higher the number Yahoo! sets, the more advertising gets through to Inboxes, rather than to Bulk Mail Folders.

Most companies probably get around Yahoo!'s set number rather easily by sending out less commercial email at one time, in bulk.

Solicited spam will get through to your Inbox.
    When you sign up for Yahoo! Email at http://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_register, look at the very bottom of the page.
    Notice how a check has already been placed in the Contact me occasionally about special offers, promotions and Yahoo! features category, for your convenience.
    If you left that check there, no telling what number of solicitations you're in store for.
    And if you've checked off a few of those optional Interests, you can expect much more.

Now, Yahoo! states, that if you believe a message was delivered to your Bulk Mail Folder that should have been sent to your Inbox instead, you can click on the Send to Yahoo! for review link contained in the message.
    In this case, they say the email will automatically be forwarded to a Yahoo! Customer Care associate for careful review.
    Yeah.
    Like, I really want a genuine Yahoo! rep to read my personal email while they automate everything else... :rolleyes:

More information on Yahoo!'s Spamguard™ and Bulk Email Folders: http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/spam/#spamgaurd
    (Notice the erroneous spelling of "spamgaurd" in the address.)
    I especially like the section entitled, As a bulk mailer, what can I do to ensure that my email goes to the right folder?... :p

Set your own Yahoo! email filters: http://help.yahoo.com/help/mail/manage/manage-06.html</font>

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice