1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

yahoo email problem

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by opie2013, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. opie2013

opie2013 Thread Starter

I have a yahoo email that I've had for maybe 10 yrs or more and within the past week it will no longer let me in. It says something like it doesn't recognise the device I'm using to sign in with [the device is the same laptop I've had a for 2 yrs]. Then it throws up a window for with a security question asking me 'where did I meet my partner.' I'm not sure if I ever filled in the answer to that but no matter what I anwer it refuses me then after the 3rd time it locks me out for 24 hours.....

My laptop a gateway and has windows 7.

I NEED help PLEASE.....

regards,

Opie2013

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I doubt that our guesses to the security question will be any better than yours.

I get that from time to time, but don't remember if there are any options. Is there any way to select a different question?

3. opie2013

opie2013 Thread Starter

Thank you TerryNet for your reply.

There is no way I can change or view info related to the security question without my getting into my email...and yahoo won't let me in...

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I was not clear. I meant when it asks for where you met your partner is there any way to tell Yahoo! to substitute a different question (from the set of questions to which you gave answers some time in the past)? Look closely, 'cause I can't think of any other way around this unless you have another computer that is "trusted."

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That second link seems to be saying that there is no alternate security question, but you can get a verification code sent by text message to your mobile number.

7. opie2013

opie2013 Thread Starter

I double checked and don't see a way to ask for a different security question. Below is what it shows when it refuses my answer to the question.

The answer you entered is incorrect. Please try again.

Why don't we recognize your device?

• You are using a device or browser you haven't previously used.
    • You may have deleted your browser cookies or your browser is set to clear cookies whenever it closes.
    • You are using "Private Browsing" mode.

You are logging in from a device we don't recognize. Learn whyFor your account safety, please answer your security question below.Where did you meet your spouse?
    Added May 27, 2009

8. Phantom010

Have you tried logging into your Yahoo Mail! account from another computer, from another network?

9. opie2013

opie2013 Thread Starter

I tried logging in using my iPod...didn't work.....A friend used his iPad to log into my problem email and it worked! I guess if nothing else I will go through iPad to get to it. But I would like to access the settings [can't do that on iPad that I know of] to see what the answer to the question is that keeps me from getting into it on my laptop...maybe there's more to it than just answering a question.

Thank you for your helpful suggestion.........

10. Phantom010

May have something to do with your network/router?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You should be able to use the iPad to check or change your contact info (answer to secret question answer, alternate address, phone number, ...).

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I believe its the security settings on Yahoo. They have this image thing that if it doesn't recognise it will block that connection.

13. opie2013

opie2013 Thread Starter

Using iPad I signed into the problem email but I couldn't find anything in it that would let me check/change/edit contact info or any part of my yahoo mail acct................Do you happen to know where, in iPad, I would find that info?
    I don't own an iPad so that's why I would like to use my friends to change yahoo mail info if I can...

14. Phantom010

I've been using Yahoo Mail! for 13 years from many computers, devices and networks, and never had any trouble logging into my many accounts.

Can your friend log into your account from your home, on the same network, or from his home network?

Were your personal devices connected to the same network/router, in your home?

Did you ever create a "sign-in seal" with Yahoo?

[​IMG]

15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If you are using an App, you need to go to the actual website. It's listed under Account Information and then you may need to turn off second sign-in verification to allow the connection, or at least see the information that was added.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice